Free Fall Experiment: Predicting Ball's Maximum Height and Time

In summary, the conversation is discussing the prediction made by a friend about the time it takes for a ball to reach its maximum height when thrown at different speeds. The student disagrees with the friend's prediction, stating that gravity would be the only force acting on the ball once it leaves their hand. The student is asked to explain their reasoning and is advised to use equations to determine the relationship between initial speed and time to reach the highest point.
Emily Falk

Homework Statement

When throwing a ball, a student has a friend time how long it takes the ball to reach the maximum height. Before they start the experiment, the friend predicts: “If you throw the ball faster, the ball will reach the highest point in less time.”
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not?

If you disagree, how would you correct it?

2. No equations necessary

The Attempt at a Solution

I predicted that it would not reach the highest point in less time because gravity would be the only force acting on the ball once the ball leaves his hand. Help??

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Emily Falk said:
1. When throwing a ball, a student has a friend time how long it takes the ball to reach the maximum height. Before they start the experiment, the friend predicts: “If you throw the ball faster, the ball will reach the highest point in less time.”
Do you agree or disagree with this statement? Why or why not?

If you disagree, how would you correct it?

2. No equations necessary

3. I predicted that it would not reach the highest point in less time because gravity would be the only force acting on the ball once the ball leaves his hand. Help??

Do you think if you threw it fast enough, then it wouldn't come down at all?

PeroK said:
Do you think if you threw it fast enough, then it wouldn't come down at all?
Obviously I do not believe that if you look at my predicted answer.

Emily Falk said:

Why is gravity being the only force important? I don't see any logic in your answer.

What is the relationship between initial speed and time to reach the highest point?

Emily Falk said:
His question is important. You stated in your OP that no equations are necessary. I suggest that you should indeed use equations to figure this one out. What is the equation for the time to maximum height based on initial vertical velocity?

What is a free fall experiment?

A free fall experiment is an experiment in which an object is dropped from a certain height and its motion is observed and measured.

What is the purpose of a free fall experiment?

The purpose of a free fall experiment is to study the motion of an object in free fall and to accurately predict its maximum height and time of fall.

What are the key factors that affect the results of a free fall experiment?

The key factors that affect the results of a free fall experiment include the initial height from which the object is dropped, the mass of the object, and the air resistance encountered during the fall.

How do you calculate the maximum height and time of a ball in free fall?

The maximum height can be calculated using the formula h = (1/2)gt^2, where h is the maximum height, g is the acceleration due to gravity, and t is the time of fall. The time of fall can be calculated using the formula t = √(2h/g).

How can the results of a free fall experiment be used in real-world applications?

The results of a free fall experiment can be used in various real-world applications, such as designing parachutes, understanding the motion of objects in space, and predicting the trajectory of projectiles.