When is too late to take the GRE for fall admission?

In summary, it is recommended to take the GRE (particularly the physics GRE) in August at the latest if you are planning on applying to grad school for the following fall. This allows enough time for your scores to be available and for any potential retakes. The general GRE can be taken at any time at a computerized testing center, but the physics GRE is only offered three times a year at paper-based testing centers. Plan to study for at least six weeks in advance, taking into account your preferred studying methods.
d3nat
Roughly, when is the latest I could take the GRE for fall grad school admission?

I'm a second semester junior currently, and I am planning on going straight to grad school after senior year.
Would taking the GRE (applied physics major) in the fall (around September) be too late?

Also, about how long is a decent enough time to study in advance?
I'm much better at short term studying (meaning I can cram very well vs studying over a long period because I wind up getting bored with the material too quickly).

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
It takes around 6 weeks for you to get your scores from a GRE exam. Most grad school applications are due ~December of the year before you plan on starting grad school. Also, consider the time it takes for the ETS to send official score reports to the schools you are applying to.

I took the physics GRE in the beginning of November of my senior year and that was definitely cutting it close! I would shoot for August at the latest. That way, you also have a chance to retake it if you need to.

You can take the general GRE any time at one of the computerized testing centers, except in certain Asian countries:

http://www.ets.org/gre/revised_general/register/centers_dates/

However, you can take the physics GRE only three times per year, at one of the paper-based testing centers:

http://www.ets.org/gre/subject/register/centers_dates/

1. When is the latest date I can take the GRE for fall admission?

The latest date to take the GRE for fall admission varies depending on the specific admissions deadlines of each university or program. It is important to check with the schools you are applying to in order to determine their specific deadlines. However, it is generally recommended to take the GRE at least 2-3 months before the application deadline in order to allow enough time for your scores to be sent to the schools and for any potential retakes.

2. Is there a recommended time frame for taking the GRE for fall admission?

Yes, it is generally recommended to take the GRE at least 2-3 months before the application deadline in order to allow enough time for your scores to be sent to the schools and for any potential retakes. This will also give you enough time to focus on other parts of your application, such as essays and letters of recommendation, after completing the GRE.

3. Can I still apply for fall admission if I take the GRE after the application deadline?

It is not recommended to take the GRE after the application deadline for fall admission. Admissions committees typically review applications in the order they are received, so submitting your application after the deadline may put you at a disadvantage. Additionally, some schools may not accept late GRE scores. It is best to plan ahead and take the GRE before the application deadline.

4. Can I submit my application without a GRE score and send it later?

Some schools may allow you to submit your application without a GRE score and send it later, but this is not common. It is important to check with the schools you are applying to in order to determine their specific policies. It is also important to note that submitting your application without a GRE score may delay its review and decision.

5. Can I retake the GRE if I am not satisfied with my scores for fall admission?

Yes, you can retake the GRE if you are not satisfied with your scores for fall admission. However, it is important to check with the schools you are applying to in order to determine their policies on multiple GRE scores. Some schools may only consider your highest score, while others may consider all of your scores. It is also important to leave enough time for potential retakes before the application deadline.