When the capacitor have 94% of its final voltage.

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
cbarker1
Gold Member
MHB
Messages
345
Reaction score
23
Dear Everybody,

Using the exact exponential treatment, find how much time (in s) is required to charge an initially uncharged 140 pF capacitor (C) through a 77.0 M[FONT=&quot]Ω resistor (R) to 94.0% of its final voltage ($\varepsilon$).

Work:
C=140 pF=1.4x10^-10
R=77.0 Mohm=7.7x10^5
$q(t)=C\varepsilon(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})$ or $I(t)=\frac{\varepsilon}{R}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}$
RC=.000108

What am I missing?
.94*C or what is the battery?

Thanks
Carter Barker
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Cbarker1 said:
Dear Everybody,

Using the exact exponential treatment, find how much time (in s) is required to charge an initially uncharged 140 pF capacitor (C) through a 77.0 MΩ resistor (R) to 94.0% of its final voltage ($\varepsilon$).

Work:
C=140 pF=1.4x10^-10
R=77.0 Mohm=7.7x10^5
$q(t)=C\varepsilon(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})$ or $I(t)=\frac{\varepsilon}{R}e^{\frac{-t}{RC}}$
RC=.000108

What am I missing?
.94*C or what is the battery?

Thanks
Carter Barker

Hi Carter,

Note first that $77\,\text{M$\Omega$}$ is $77\times10^6 = 7.7\times10^7$.

The voltage has the form $V(t) = V_\infty(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})$, where $V_\infty$ is is the final voltage, corresponding to $t\to\infty$. $V(t)$ will be equal to $0.94V_\infty$ when $(1-e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}) = 0.94$.

You can easily compute the corresponding value of $t$ using logarithms.