1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Charging and discharging capacitor, differential equation

1. Oct 19, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    A circuit consists of a voltage source, voltage ##V## , a resistor, resistance ##R##, and a capacitor, capacitance ##C##, in series.

(i) Show that the charge ##Q(t)## in the capacitor satisfies the equation ##R Q' (t) + Q(t)/C = V ##.

(ii) Suppose that ##R##, ##C## and ##V## are constant and that ##Q## is initially zero. Find an expression for ##Q(t)##. Sketch the solution.

(iii) Suppose instead that ##V = V_{0}## for ##t < T## and ##V = 0## for ##t > T##, where ##V_{0}## is constant and ##Q## is again initially zero. Find the new expression for ##Q(t)##, both for ##t < T## and ##t > T##.

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I have managed to answer part 1 and 2. I used kirchoff's loop rule to show that the charge in the capacitor satisfies the given equation, and solved it to find ##Q(t)##.

I found that ##Q(t) = vc(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{RC}})## which is a pretty standard result and satisfies the condition that ##Q(0) = 0##.

I am stuck with part 3. I know that discharging capacitors obey ##Q = Q_{T} e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}##, where ##Q_{T}## is the charge on the capacitor when the voltage is set to zero. (By solving the same differential equation with V = 0)

I have tried writing the charge on the capacitor as a piecewise function for t < T and t > T, but each expression does not equal the other at t = T.

Am I supposed to find a single expression that encapsulates this behaviour?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 19, 2015 #2

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

Vo adds charge as a decaying exponential to the capacitor throughout time interval T. Then, starting with this value of charge, it drains away in a falling exponential.

4. Oct 19, 2015 #3
    ##Q_{t < T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})##

##Q_{t=T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{T}{RC}})##

##Q_{t > T} = Q_{t=T} e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}##

Like this?

5. Oct 19, 2015 #4

NascentOxygen

Staff: Mentor

That looks right.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted