Charging and discharging capacitor, differential equation

In summary, for a circuit consisting of a voltage source, a resistor, and a capacitor in series, the charge on the capacitor can be expressed as a piecewise function for t < T and t > T, with the value at t = T being the same for both intervals.
BOAS

Homework Statement

A circuit consists of a voltage source, voltage ##V## , a resistor, resistance ##R##, and a capacitor, capacitance ##C##, in series.

(i) Show that the charge ##Q(t)## in the capacitor satisfies the equation ##R Q' (t) + Q(t)/C = V ##.

(ii) Suppose that ##R##, ##C## and ##V## are constant and that ##Q## is initially zero. Find an expression for ##Q(t)##. Sketch the solution.

(iii) Suppose instead that ##V = V_{0}## for ##t < T## and ##V = 0## for ##t > T##, where ##V_{0}## is constant and ##Q## is again initially zero. Find the new expression for ##Q(t)##, both for ##t < T## and ##t > T##.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

[/B]
I have managed to answer part 1 and 2. I used kirchhoffs loop rule to show that the charge in the capacitor satisfies the given equation, and solved it to find ##Q(t)##.

I found that ##Q(t) = vc(1 - e^{\frac{-t}{RC}})## which is a pretty standard result and satisfies the condition that ##Q(0) = 0##.

I am stuck with part 3. I know that discharging capacitors obey ##Q = Q_{T} e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}##, where ##Q_{T}## is the charge on the capacitor when the voltage is set to zero. (By solving the same differential equation with V = 0)

I have tried writing the charge on the capacitor as a piecewise function for t < T and t > T, but each expression does not equal the other at t = T.

Am I supposed to find a single expression that encapsulates this behaviour?

Physics news on Phys.org
Vo adds charge as a decaying exponential to the capacitor throughout time interval T. Then, starting with this value of charge, it drains away in a falling exponential.

NascentOxygen said:
Vo adds charge as a decaying exponential to the capacitor throughout time interval T. Then, starting with this value of charge, it drains away in a falling exponential.

##Q_{t < T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})##

##Q_{t=T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{T}{RC}})##

##Q_{t > T} = Q_{t=T} e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}##

Like this?

BOAS said:
##Q_{t < T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{t}{RC}})##

##Q_{t=T} = CV_{0}(1 - e^{-\frac{T}{RC}})##

##Q_{t > T} = Q_{t=T} e^{-\frac{t}{RC}}##

Like this?
That looks right.

Likes BOAS

1. What is a capacitor?

A capacitor is an electrical component that stores electric charge and energy. It consists of two conductive plates separated by an insulating material called a dielectric.

2. How does a capacitor charge and discharge?

A capacitor charges when a voltage is applied across its plates, causing one plate to accumulate positive charge and the other to accumulate negative charge. It discharges when the voltage is removed, causing the charges to flow back to their original positions.

3. What is the differential equation for charging and discharging a capacitor?

The differential equation for charging a capacitor is Q = Q0(1-e-t/RC), where Q is the charge on the capacitor, Q0 is the initial charge, t is time, R is the resistance in the circuit, and C is the capacitance of the capacitor. The differential equation for discharging is Q = Q0e-t/RC.

4. What factors affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor?

The time constant (RC) of the circuit, the initial charge on the capacitor, and the resistance in the circuit all affect the charging and discharging of a capacitor. A larger time constant or resistance will result in a slower charging or discharging process, while a larger initial charge will result in a faster charging or discharging process.

5. How is the charging and discharging of a capacitor used in practical applications?

Capacitors are used in various electronic devices and circuits, such as power supplies, filters, and timing circuits. They are also used in energy storage systems, such as in electric vehicles and renewable energy systems.