Why is pair creation in an ionization chamber proportional to deposited energy?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
MsFrancesca
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
Hello.
I have a question about the relation between the number of the pair created in the ionization chamber by the radiation and the energy deposited in the counter.

In the text, it is written that "The mean number of pairs created is proportional to the energy deposited in the counter."
"Techniques for nuclear and particle physics experiments - W.R.Leo"

But, I cannot understand this sentence.

Of course, I know that if the intensity of the electric field increase, the collected pairs are increased.
However, it is not the matter concerned with the recombination, right?
Because consideration of the relation between intensity of electric field and recombination is the next thing to think about.
That sentence said about creation of the pair.

Please answer to my question.
Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello Miss Francesca, :welcome:

(Benvenuta?)

" Energy deposited in the ionization chamber " refers to the energy loss of the incident radiative particle. That has nothing to do with the intensity of the electric field.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: MsFrancesca
Oh, thank you for your answer.
I got it!
(And, I'm not Italian~)