1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When the speed of light is slower than it should be.

1. Dec 21, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Name several ways in which our life would be different if the speed of light is 20 m/s rather than its actual value.

2. Relevant equations
    Does it also affect our biological clock?

3. The attempt at a solution

I believe that if your would travel any vehicle at opposite direction of the sun, your speed is much faster than of the photons so i believe you would experience absolute darkness. Any ideas?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2015 #2

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

What do you know about Special Relativity that applies here?

Also, what class is this homework for?

4. Dec 21, 2015 #3
    This is for my Modern Physics class. I'm not really good at this. I only know few basics like time is relative to the observer and its always link with space. It slows down if the velocity is almost the same as that of the light's speed and others.

5. Dec 21, 2015 #4

Drakkith

Do you have any books or class material that explain the basics of Relativity?

6. Dec 21, 2015 #5
    Yes, Schaums Outlines College Physics Book. But this only contains solutions and problem solving and less applications to daily life.The rest are high school Physics book which has no information for my problem.

7. Dec 21, 2015 #6

Drakkith

Does it cover the basic rules of relativity in it? There's one very, very important one that you're forgetting here. :wink:

8. Dec 21, 2015 #7
    Sir, do you mean the first and second postulates? sorry, i am a biology major and sucks at physics.

9. Dec 21, 2015 #8

Drakkith

Indeed. What do those postulates say and how might they apply to this situation?

10. Dec 21, 2015 #9
    As far as i know, the laws of physics is constant in all inertial reference frame and the light's speed in free space has the same value for all observers, regardless of their state of motion. that is what the postulates state but it was highlighted there that nothing travels faster than light so i really don't get the idea if it slows down.

11. Dec 21, 2015 #10

Drakkith

Notice what you just wrote vs what you wrote in your original question:

Do you see a disagreement here?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted