Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to use spherical and cylindrical coordinates?

1. Apr 16, 2009 #1
    For example with a paraboloid, which do i use? Im also slightly confused with the limits in the integral. If doing a triple integral with drdθdΦ i understand the limits of the dr integral but when it comes to dθ and dΦ i dont understand why sometimes its 0 to 2π or 0 to π etc.
    For example with this case: a paraboloid that has the following equation z = x^2 + y^2
    and z <= 9
    What i tried doing is using cylindrical (dont really know why), with dz having limits 0 to 9, but i dont get what dr and dθ would be.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 16, 2009 #2
    Draw a picture. Cut the paraboloid into planes where z is a constant. Then you find that r is a function of t (or is a constant), like a polar coordinate system, and z because we are dealing with a series of planes. They should be a series of circles or different radii on each plane. A cylindrical coordinate system is useful when you can slice objects up into planes on an axis so that each plane has a simple polar plot (ie., circles or ellipses).
    Always start with a diagram.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook