1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When to use what the u and du substitutes

1. Jul 20, 2010 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

∫2/(√(1-9x^2))*dx

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

I just want to know what to use for the u and du substitutes. I know the final and I can see a short cut to the answer, but I will need to show my work and trying the find the correct u and du is proving hard. The correct answer is 2/3sin^-1(3x)+C

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 20, 2010 #2
    Re: U-substitution

You said you saw a shortcut to the answer. What shortcut is that? There isn't much to this u-substitution, so I'm curious if you might just have the answer and not quite recognize it.

4. Jul 20, 2010 #3

It's not a short cut in the sense of ∫sinx=-cosx, just from working the problem, I see that in the equation I take the numerator,2, and pull it out, plus I know that 1/(1-x^2) = sin^-1(x). So I can take the √9 and get 3, so the answer is 2/3sin^-1(3x)+C. But like I said, I need to show the work, and when I take (1-9x^2) for u I have no other x to account for in du. So what would my u and du be?

5. Jul 20, 2010 #4

I don't think you fully understand what you're doing to get from the original question to the solution.

I'll take a shot at what I think u and du are, but can you please finish the question showing your work from start to finish for us? I want to make sure you fully understand what you're doing.

Why not try,

[tex] u = 3x \ldots \frac{du}{dx} = 3 [/tex]

?

6. Jul 20, 2010 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about sin(u)^2=9*x^2? You have to figure out the du.

7. Jul 20, 2010 #6

That did it. Thanks

∫2/(√(1-9x^2))*dx

u^2=9x^2 u=3x & du=3*dx 1/3du*dx

2*1/3∫1/√(1-u^2)*du

2/3sin^-1(u)+C

2/3sin^-1(3x)+C

and I had another one that I could see the answer, but couldn't find u and du till this help and can solve on paper.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook