1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When will the following converge/diverge?

1. Apr 11, 2009 #1
    for what values of p, q will the following integral converge??

intergal from (0 - ∞ ) of

[tex]\int[/tex]dx/(x^p +x^q)

i know that both [tex]\int[/tex]dx/(x^p) and [tex]\int[/tex]dx/(x^q) will converge when p,q>1 and i know that is smaller than either [tex]\int[/tex]dx/(x^p) or [tex]\int[/tex]dx/(x^q) alone since x>0, the denominator will be bigger so the fraction will be smaller.

so p,q>1 converge

but i dont think this is a proper answer, since as far as i see it is a possibility but not necessarily the only one,

how do i reach the correct answer?

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 11, 2009 #2

Avodyne

Science Advisor

First of all, you need to be more precise; does "p,q>1" mean that both p and q are greater than one?

Then, you seem to be thinking only about convergence as x approaches infinity; what about as x approaches zero?

4. Apr 11, 2009 #3
    since i looked at dx/(x^p) and dx/(x^q) seperately i meant that they both were bigger than 1, but now looking at what i wrote and your answer, i am not sure that that wat the right thing to do, let me try explain.
    what i was looking at was the comarison where

{g(x) > f(x)} and g(x) converges, then f(x) converges
    {g(x) > f(x)} and g(x) diverges, then f(x) diverges

how would you go about solving this.
    i have another question based on the same principal, but a more complex function and would like to know this one before attempting it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook