1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When will these cars pass eachother - kinematics

1. Feb 19, 2006 #1
    Car A with u=0/s is on the northbound land of a highway and car B is travelling in th southbound lane at constant u=26.67m/s.At t=0 , A starts and accelerates at a constant rate a(A) . while at t=5 , B decelerates with constant magnitude of a(A)/6 . knowing that when the two carspass each other at x=90m , and v(A) = v(B),determine acceleration of car A.

i have tried it many times but stil can't ind the answer.pls help.
    the answer is 3.59m/s^2
    thanx

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 19, 2006 #2
    oh...the length between the two cars is d in which we have to find in the second part

4. Feb 19, 2006 #3
    You just need to write the equations of velocity and movement of each car. Then you'll find out the answer

5. Feb 19, 2006 #4
    for v(A)=180a(A)--------1
    s(A)=1/2 at^2--------2

v(B)=26.67 - 0.5a(B)t--------3
    d-90=26.67t - 0.5a(B)t^2-----4

is it rite??

6. Feb 20, 2006 #5
    pls help.........

7. Feb 21, 2006 #6
    pls help........

8. Feb 21, 2006 #7
    Teng! I'm not a moderator but all you have to do is ask ONCE! :surprised

Tricky! I like it.

In the following, I have defined + to be Northward.
    For car A: Car A starts at position [tex] x_{0A} [/tex] at a speed of [tex] v_{0A} = 0m/s[/tex] with an acceleration of a(A).
    [tex] x_A=x_{0A}+v_{0A}t+(1/2)a_At^2 [/tex]; [tex]v_A=v_{0A}+a_At [/tex]
    [tex] x_A=x_{0A}+(1/2)a(A)t^2 [/tex]; [tex]v_A=a(A)t [/tex]

For car B: Car B starts at position [tex] x_{0B} [/tex] at a speed of [tex] v_{0B} = -26.67 m/s[/tex] with an acceleration of -(1/6)a(A).
    [tex] x_B=x_{0B}+v_{0B}t+(1/2)a_Bt^2 [/tex]; [tex]v_B=v_{0B}+a_Bt [/tex]
    [tex] x_B=x_{0B}-26.67t-(1/12)a(A)t^2 [/tex]; [tex]v_A=-26.67-(1/6)a(A)t [/tex]

Now, at x=90 m, both cars pass each other and have the same speed. We don't have a specific equation to find t or a(A), but we have two equations we can write. First, at time t both cars have the same speed. Thus at (90 m, t):
    [tex] a(A)t=-26.67-(1/6)a(A)t [/tex]

Second, both cars are at the same point at this time, so:
    [tex] x_{0A}+(1.2)a(A)t^2=x_{0B}-26.67t-(1/12)a(A)t^2 =90 m [/tex]
    (This last is actually THREE equations. Both distances are equal to 90 m as well as each other.)

You've got four equations in four unknowns, so you should be able to solve the system.

-Dan

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?