Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

When you were kid , what did you want to be when you became an adult?

1. Oct 31, 2014 #1
    career wise

i wanted to be either a shop keeper or a wrestler - neither happened.

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 31, 2014 #2
    Professional socker player :)

4. Oct 31, 2014 #3
    a movie star

I am not one now but my neighbors always keep the camera on me.

5. Oct 31, 2014 #4
    I remember not wanting to become an adult.
    So far so good...

6. Oct 31, 2014 #5
    Paleontologist. My interests have since changed.

7. Oct 31, 2014 #6
    I wanted to be a garbage man. Garbage men get to rid on the outside of the trucks, jumping on and off the running boards, and that looked like fun.

8. Oct 31, 2014 #7

Pythagorean

Gold Member

A shaman

9. Oct 31, 2014 #8

Evo

Staff: Mentor

I always wanted to be a mad scientist. Each year at the beginning of school, we had to write a "What I want to be when I grow up". I would always write about why I wanted to be a mad scientist working in my laboratory (pronounce la BOR a tor ee). And at the bottom I would draw a figure of the cliche mad scientist with long grey hair in a lab coat holding up a flask. My teachers avoided me. This was in elementary school, starting at age 7-8.

10. Oct 31, 2014 #9

Matterwave

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think I wanted to be a movie star first...and then it moved on to being the CEO of a big company...and then a rich guy who does physics on the side....I'm still hoping for that last one...LOL

11. Oct 31, 2014 #10

lisab

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A doctor.

When I was 15 or so, I spent several weeks helping my dentist when his usual assistant was on maternity leave. That cured me of any notion of going into the medical field.

12. Nov 1, 2014 #11
    forest ranger

13. Nov 1, 2014 #12

Borg

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Anything but this. :)

OldFart.jpg

14. Nov 1, 2014 #13

Lisa!

Gold Member

I wanted to be a zoologist, but when I went to a really dirty zoo and I saw a simian I changed my mind!

PS: This thread reminds me of this quote:
    "I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific!"

15. Nov 1, 2014 #14

wukunlin

Gold Member

I wanted to be a mathematician, but my parents talked me out of it because the money isn't good. There was also a time I wanted to be a computer engineer, and then my parents talked me out of it as well because one of their friends worked himself to death as a programmer (which is different to a computer engineer, but I didn't know the difference, and neither do my parents).

16. Nov 1, 2014 #15

Monique

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I wanted to be the store clerk who wraps gifts, it seemed like a really fun job to me. When I realized there was more within my reach, I wanted to become an astronaut.

17. Nov 1, 2014 #16

RonL

Gold Member

Since you have become a member of the sisterhood, is there anything left ?

18. Nov 1, 2014 #17

Danger

Gold Member

I can only assume that you live in a different climatic zone than I do.

Well, you're half-way there...
    Shall we start a poll to determine which half? :p

For me, from the age of around 6 or so I never wanted to be anything other than a professional pilot. (Damned medical groundings... :mad:)

19. Nov 1, 2014 #18
    @ Danger: I grew up far down in south Texas where it is quite warm 364 days a year. Our garbage men (before the days of modern trucks with lift arms and compactors) would run along side the truck, jumping on and off, throwing the full cans up to another fellow who stood in the collected garbage to empty the cans and throw them back down. This was long, long ago and no longer has much appeal to me now. Somehow, much of life is rather like standing in the garbage, trying to work, and I'm no longer interested in that.

20. Nov 1, 2014 #19
    I wanted to be an electronics engineer ever since I was 5.

21. Nov 1, 2014 #20
    @ thankz:

And did you really understand, at age 5, what an electronics engineer does?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook