When you were kid , what did you want to be when you became an adult?

• Thread starter hbk4894
  • Start date
career wise

i wanted to be either a shop keeper or a wrestler - neither happened.

Answers and Replies

Professional socker player :)

a movie star

I am not one now but my neighbors always keep the camera on me.

I remember not wanting to become an adult.
So far so good...

Paleontologist. My interests have since changed.

I wanted to be a garbage man. Garbage men get to rid on the outside of the trucks, jumping on and off the running boards, and that looked like fun.

Pythagorean
Gold Member
A shaman

Likes Evo
Evo
Mentor
I always wanted to be a mad scientist. Each year at the beginning of school, we had to write a "What I want to be when I grow up". I would always write about why I wanted to be a mad scientist working in my laboratory (pronounce la BOR a tor ee). And at the bottom I would draw a figure of the cliche mad scientist with long grey hair in a lab coat holding up a flask. My teachers avoided me. This was in elementary school, starting at age 7-8.

Matterwave
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I think I wanted to be a movie star first...and then it moved on to being the CEO of a big company...and then a rich guy who does physics on the side....I'm still hoping for that last one...LOL

lisab
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
A doctor.

When I was 15 or so, I spent several weeks helping my dentist when his usual assistant was on maternity leave. That cured me of any notion of going into the medical field.

Likes Evo
forest ranger

Borg
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Anything but this. :)

OldFart.jpg

Likes Jozape and WWGD
Lisa!
Gold Member
I wanted to be a zoologist, but when I went to a really dirty zoo and I saw a simian I changed my mind!

PS: This thread reminds me of this quote:
"I always wanted to be somebody, but now I realize I should have been more specific!"

Likes Danger and Enigman
wukunlin
Gold Member
I wanted to be a mathematician, but my parents talked me out of it because the money isn't good. There was also a time I wanted to be a computer engineer, and then my parents talked me out of it as well because one of their friends worked himself to death as a programmer (which is different to a computer engineer, but I didn't know the difference, and neither do my parents).

Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
I wanted to be the store clerk who wraps gifts, it seemed like a really fun job to me. When I realized there was more within my reach, I wanted to become an astronaut.

RonL
Gold Member
I wanted to be the store clerk who wraps gifts, it seemed like a really fun job to me. When I realized there was more within my reach, I wanted to become an astronaut.

Since you have become a member of the sisterhood, is there anything left ?

Danger
Gold Member
I wanted to be a garbage man. Garbage men get to rid on the outside of the trucks, jumping on and off the running boards, and that looked like fun.
I can only assume that you live in a different climatic zone than I do.

I always wanted to be a mad scientist.
Well, you're half-way there...
Shall we start a poll to determine which half? :p

For me, from the age of around 6 or so I never wanted to be anything other than a professional pilot. (Damned medical groundings... :mad:)

@ Danger: I grew up far down in south Texas where it is quite warm 364 days a year. Our garbage men (before the days of modern trucks with lift arms and compactors) would run along side the truck, jumping on and off, throwing the full cans up to another fellow who stood in the collected garbage to empty the cans and throw them back down. This was long, long ago and no longer has much appeal to me now. Somehow, much of life is rather like standing in the garbage, trying to work, and I'm no longer interested in that.

I wanted to be an electronics engineer ever since I was 5.

@ thankz:

And did you really understand, at age 5, what an electronics engineer does?

I want to design and build autonomous robots when I grow up. I'm still halfway there... ;)

RonL
Gold Member
I want to design and build autonomous robots when I grow up. I'm still halfway there... ;)
I'm sure I'm past the halfway mark, also sure I don't want to know when I passed it:eek:

to dr.d

yes I knew what an electronics engineer does lol, I used to take apart everything and I had my own collection of electronics and magnets!

I still have a paper from kindergarten that asked us what we wanted to be, I wrote down astronaut, scientist, electronics engineer, doctor, soldier.

I remember my prism, chemistry set, crystal radio that I had to beg for when I was young, I also remember stealing geranium diodes from radio shack because I thought they were the same as dilthium crystals used on star trek. no one ever gave me a formal education but I picked things up along the way and learn to read schematics on my own from those radio shack 100in1 kits, I've built quite a few things. I guess I always knew what I wanted to be.

edit: and if I had the time id be an applied mathematian, ee, computer scientist, general surgeon, geneticist, and nuro scientist.

Last edited:
Danger
Gold Member
I also remember stealing geranium diodes from radio shack
Uh... that's botany, not electronics.

Doc, I remember seeing that kind of garbage collection both on Yank TV such as The Untouchables or Perry Mason or whatever, and know that it was done here when I was a kid (except I seldom saw it in person because I lived on farms). Here, when it was -50° with a metre of snow on the ground, those old galvanized steel cans were frozen to the ground with such tenacity that the driver would sometimes have to nudge one with the truck just to break it loose for his partner. :))

RonL
Gold Member
-50* now that's just messed up living IMHOoo)