Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Where are the four muons in this picture

1. Jul 31, 2016 #1
    Hi all.

It is picture of simulation for higgs decays into four muons.

Im wondering which track line is four muon.

My guess is four thick yellow line at right-bottom side of the picture cuase it looks energetic.

Am i right? Or any other opinion?

Thanks alot

Min
    9710002_05.jpe

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 31, 2016 #2

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

Hard to tell without more context. They should have a large curvature radius and go through the whole detector. The two lines ending in the lower central part look like muon tracks, the one ending below the right center looks like a muon track.
    The one "disappearing" in the right center could be a muon moving towards us or away from us, depending on the projection chosen.

You don't learn much about particle physics from those event displays. The actual analysis uses the numbers from track/cluster reconstruction and particle identification algorithms.

4. Jul 31, 2016 #3
    thanks mfb
    im gonna have a tattoo of this pic and wanna highlight the muon tracks. i got this pic on the cms page and there is not much information about it.

5. Aug 1, 2016 #4

fresh_42

Staff: Mentor

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted