• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products via PF Here!

Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero force?

• Thread starter shashaeee
  • Start date
I'm having a hard time trying to picture the problem:

A charge of +2q is placed at the origin and a second charge of -q is placed at x= 3.0cm. Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero force?

Here is how I picture the problem:

physics4.jpg

berkeman

Mentor
I'm having a hard time trying to picture the problem:

A charge of +2q is placed at the origin and a second charge of -q is placed at x= 3.0cm. Where can a third charge +Q be placed so that it experiences a zero force?

Here is how I picture the problem:

View attachment 49498
The 3rd charge could end up anywhere on the line, left, right or between the first 2 charges. What is the equation for the electric field E generated by a charge at some distance...?

For Force its, F = KQQ/r2

The way I understand the problem is it could either be on the left or right of those two charges. Because if it was in the middle, the third charge will experience a net force directed to the right. Right?

berkeman

Mentor
For Force its, F = KQQ/r2

The way I understand the problem is it could either be on the left or right of those two charges. Because if it was in the middle, the third charge will experience a net force directed to the right. Right?
Yes, that is correct. It's good that you see that.

Physics Forums Values

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving