Where Can I Find a Math-Based Physics Book for Electricity and Magnetism?

In summary: I would also recommend "The Mathematical Universe" by Max Born and "Einstein's Dreams" by Saul Perlmutter.
diegocas
Hi! I'm a mathematician but I'm now stuyding some physics. I like it, but I am not completely satisfied with the presentation in ordinary books. I want to find a physics book with no fear for math! In traditional textbooks, line integrals, surface integrals, Stoke's theorem is always avoided! I hope someone could recommend a good math-based physics book. I'm especially interested in electricity and magnetism.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
I recommend a 2nd year college Electricity and Magnetism course. My preference, being an experimenter, would be for a course using MKS units. Thus quantities are volts, amps, Tesla, Coulombs, Farads, Henrys, amp-turns, meters etc. Avoid most EE courses (generally they minimize the math). Advanced EE electricial circuits courses MAY get into poles, zeroes, and stability diagrams.

While not focusing on e&m you may enjoy the Dover book 'Mathematics of classical and quantum physics'.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/048667164X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

EDIT: on second thought, this may not be what you are looking for (ie: perhaps you looking for a differential forms treatment of E&M?)

Last edited:
Hi,

You might want to take a look at the following book:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/0817642226/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It basically discusses electromagnetism from an axiomatic point in terms of differential geometry. Especially if you are a mathematician this will probably be very interesting.
Parts of it are available online on the homepage of the author:
http://www.thp.uni-koeln.de/gravitation/mitarbeiter/Birkshowme.pdf"

A few suggestions for other topics (I only cite books which are on a mathematically quite high level):
Mechanics: Mathematical Methods in Classical Mechanics by V.I. Arnol'd
Quantum Mechanics: Mathematical Concepts of Quantum Mechanics by Gustafson and Sigal
and of course the books by Reed and Simon
GR: Large Scale Structure of Space-time by Hawking and Ellis

Last edited by a moderator:
robphy said:
Purcell

Seconded.

Related to Where Can I Find a Math-Based Physics Book for Electricity and Magnetism?

1. What is physics?

Physics is the branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and their interactions. It seeks to understand the fundamental laws and principles that govern the physical world.

2. What are the prerequisites for taking a physics course?

The prerequisites for a physics course vary depending on the level of the course. Generally, a strong background in math, particularly algebra and trigonometry, is necessary. Some courses may also require knowledge of calculus and basic physics concepts.

3. What topics are typically covered in a physics course?

Physics courses cover a wide range of topics, including mechanics, thermodynamics, electromagnetism, optics, and modern physics. They also often include laboratory experiments and problem-solving activities to help students apply the concepts they learn.

4. What skills can I gain from taking a physics course?

Physics courses can help students develop critical thinking, problem-solving, and analytical skills. They also provide a strong foundation in math and scientific methods, which are useful in many other fields.

5. What career opportunities are available for physics students?

Physics students can pursue careers in a variety of fields, including engineering, research, teaching, and data analysis. They can also work in industries such as aerospace, energy, and healthcare. Additionally, a physics background can be beneficial for careers in finance, law, and technology.