Where can I find a proof of the Swiss cheese theorem?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter Bestfrog
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Proof Theorem
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
Bestfrog
Does anyone know where I can find a proof of this theorem?
Theorem: The Euclidean space ##\mathbb{R}^2## is not the union of nondegenerate disjoints circles.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Consider a sequence of circles [itex]S_i[/itex] such that the disk bounded by [itex]S_i[/itex] contains [itex]S_{i+1}[/itex] and the radii [itex]r_i[/itex] of these circles tend to zero (this is possible because given a circle of radius [itex]r[/itex], the circle passing through its center has radius [itex]\leq r/2[/itex]) and let [itex]x_i[/itex] be a point in the disk bounded by [itex]S_i[/itex]. The sequence [itex]x_i[/itex] converges since [itex]r_i\to 0[/itex] and we find that the circle passing through the limit of this sequence must intersect all but finitely many of the [itex]S_i[/itex]. Contradiction.

Edit: This seems too easy to be a proof of a substantial theorem, so I might be missing something.

WWGD said:
Still, doesn't Baire category apply, if the union is countable?
If the union was countable, you could just use that the countable union of measure zero sets has measure zero.
 
Last edited:
Infrared said:
If the union was countable, you could just use that the countable union of measure zero sets has measure zero.

Seemed, by the type of problem, the OP wanted to address it from a purely topological perspective/approach.
 
I know a proof for a theorem that states that it is not possible to write the plane as a union of closed disks in such way that the interiors of the disks would be disjoint. In other words
[tex] \mathbb{R}^2 = \bigcup_{i\in\mathcal{I}} \bar{B}(x_i,r_i)[/tex]
and
[tex] i,i'\in\mathcal{I},\; i\neq i'\quad\implies\quad B(x_i,r_i)\cap B(x_{i'},r_{i'})=\emptyset[/tex]
lead to a contradiction, where [itex]r_i>0[/itex] for all [itex]i\in\mathcal{I}[/itex], the index set [itex]\mathcal{I}[/itex] can be arbitrary to start with,
[tex] B(x,r) = \big\{x'\in\mathbb{R}^2\;\big|\; \|x'-x\|<r\big\}[/tex]
and
[tex] \bar{B}(x,r) = \big\{x'\in\mathbb{R}^2\;\big|\; \|x'-x\|\leq r\big\}.[/tex]
 
jostpuur said:
I know a proof for a theorem that states that it is not possible to write the plane as a union of closed disks in such way that the interiors of the disks would be disjoint.
Often named a "Swiss cheese" (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swiss_cheese_(mathematics)).
cheesecolour.png
 
Attachments
  • cheesecolour.png
    cheesecolour.png
    18.2 KB · Views: 690