Where Can I Find a Quality Logic Textbook for My Physics Degree?

  • Thread starter Thread starter Shackleford
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Logic Textbook
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
11 replies · 17K views
Shackleford
Messages
1,649
Reaction score
2
I'm not squeezing this into my degree (Physics), but I'd like to buy a good Logic textbook online or whatever. Thanks.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I plan on making my way through Russells writings on the subject at some point. They may be outdated now, however.
 
Gwilim said:
I plan on making my way through Russells writings on the subject at some point. They may be outdated now, however.

Does that really matter in logic?

What other textbooks would you recommend?
 
Shackleford said:
Does that really matter in logic?

What other textbooks would you recommend?

To some extent, yes it does. While logical truth is constant human understanding of it is not. For example, anything written before Russell will not include the revisions he made. In fact Aristotlean logic was still popular well into the nineteenth century.

I am keyboard jockeying a little here as I've never received any formal training in logic, you're probably best off waiting until someone more knowledgeable comes along to answer your question.
 
Heh. Yeah. I'm waiting for someone knowledgeable to chime in here.
 
What do you want to know about logic? Do you want to know various latin names for common argument forms? Do you want to learn a symbolic calculus for propositions and logical connectives? Do you want to learn about deep issues near the foundation of mathematics?

If want something substantial that covers a lot of ground in depth, then a reasonably heavyweight choice is Kleen 'Mathematical Logic.' If you just want to learn the propositional calculus and a fiew latin words, then just look at what textbook your local university uses for Symbolic logic or Reasoning courses. Choosing between these school books is like choosing an intro calculus book: just go with a cheap one.
 
ExactlySolved said:
What do you want to know about logic? Do you want to know various latin names for common argument forms? Do you want to learn a symbolic calculus for propositions and logical connectives? Do you want to learn about deep issues near the foundation of mathematics?

If want something substantial that covers a lot of ground in depth, then a reasonably heavyweight choice is Kleen 'Mathematical Logic.' If you just want to learn the propositional calculus and a fiew latin words, then just look at what textbook your local university uses for Symbolic logic or Reasoning courses. Choosing between these school books is like choosing an intro calculus book: just go with a cheap one.

This book?

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0486425339/?tag=pfamazon01-20
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, and for that price I would recommend it.
 
ExactlySolved said:
Yeah, and for that price I would recommend it.

I'm trying to find a hardcover in very good condition.
 
If you are looking for a particularly well written and thorough textbook introducing the major principles of philosophical logic, then I cannot recommend this book enough.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/0631199829/?tag=pfamazon01-20

It's An Introduction to Philosophical Logic by A.C. Grayling and it's a university level textbook. But very readable.
 
Last edited by a moderator:
What's the difference between the Mathematical and Philosophical Logic books? I know mathematical logic is a subset of philosophical logic.
 
From the MIT OpenCourseware page:
Logic I
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-241Fall-2005/Readings/index.htm

Logic II
http://ocw.mit.edu/OcwWeb/Linguistics-and-Philosophy/24-242Spring-2004/LectureNotes/index.htm
 
Last edited by a moderator: