Where can I find d-d reaction cross-section data for higher energies?

In summary, d-d reaction cross-section data for higher energies can be found in various databases such as the National Nuclear Data Center and the International Atomic Energy Agency database. These databases provide access to experimental and theoretical data on deuteron-deuteron reactions, including cross-section measurements at higher energies. Additionally, research papers and scientific publications may also contain relevant data and information on this topic.
oksuz_
Hi,

I have been searching d-d reaction cross-section at higher energies up to 10 MeV. I checked ENDF database, however, I could not find any data. Do anyone offer a source from which I can get d-d cross-section data?

thanks in advance.

Engineering news on Phys.org
oksuz_ said:
Hi,

I have been searching d-d reaction cross-section at higher energies up to 10 MeV. I checked ENDF database, however, I could not find any data. Do anyone offer a source from which I can get d-d cross-section data?

thanks in advance.
I believe it has been published, e.g., Thomas J Dolan's text, Fusion Research, Volume I: Principles

Professor Ragheb has a plot and some data in the following (see Figure 2):
http://mragheb.com/NPRE 402 ME 405 Nuclear Power Engineering/Fusion Concepts.pdf

However, for commercial power purposes, it would not make sense to 'heat' deuterons to 10 MeV when the yield is 4.03 MeV for the T,p production, or less, 3.27 MeV for He-3,n production.

Likes Nik_2213
Thank you for the source. I am not going to use this data for power related purpose, rather I am going to need it for neutron yield calculation. By the way, you mentioned the yield. Did you mean the net energy yield?

E4R6364_e4.gif

The ENDF is a very complete library, but in the future try using this part of their site for more detailed information than what you find on the main landing page:
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/e4explorer.htm

Attachments

• E4R6364_e4.gif
    E4R6364_e4.gif
    5.3 KB · Views: 825
I just realized I posted the wrong data set (must have been spending too much time on their site that day), this is what you are looking for if interested in the D+D->t+p cross section:

E4R6649_e4.gif

and this one for the D+D->He3+n cross sections:

E4R6649_e4.gif

Try the site out for yourself, it is very useful and full of information when it is working properly.

Attachments

• E4R6649_e4.gif
    E4R6649_e4.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 600
  • E4R6649_e4.gif
    E4R6649_e4.gif
    5.1 KB · Views: 579
Last edited:
Likes oksuz_

1. What is a D-D reaction cross-section?

A D-D reaction cross-section is a measure of the probability of two deuterium atoms undergoing a nuclear reaction and producing a specific result. It is typically represented by the symbol σ and is often used in the study of nuclear fusion.

2. How is the D-D reaction cross-section calculated?

The D-D reaction cross-section is calculated by taking into account the energy of the deuterium atoms, the distance between them, and the characteristics of the reaction itself. This calculation can be complex and often requires advanced mathematical models and computer simulations.

3. What factors affect the D-D reaction cross-section?

Several factors can affect the D-D reaction cross-section, including the energy of the deuterium atoms, the presence of other particles or fields, and the temperature and density of the environment in which the reaction takes place. Changes in these factors can result in changes in the probability of a D-D reaction occurring.

4. Why is the D-D reaction cross-section important?

The D-D reaction cross-section is important because it helps scientists understand and predict the behavior of nuclear reactions. By studying the cross-section, scientists can determine the likelihood of a specific reaction occurring and make more accurate predictions about the outcome of nuclear fusion experiments.

5. How is the D-D reaction cross-section used in research?

The D-D reaction cross-section is used extensively in research related to nuclear fusion and other nuclear reactions. It is also used in the development and design of fusion reactors and other technologies that utilize nuclear reactions. Additionally, the D-D reaction cross-section is used in theoretical studies and simulations to better understand the behavior and potential applications of nuclear fusion.