Cross section data, how to fill in the gaps?

In summary, the conversation discussed the search for data on 18F production rates, specifically comparing 18O(p,n)18F and 20Ne(d,alpha)18F reactions. The individual had found a useful tool for extracting ENDF data, but had trouble finding data for deuteron and proton reactions for oxygen isotopes. Alternative data sources were suggested, and the use of neutron cross section data for transmutation estimates was discussed.
Strat-O
I wanted information on the 18F production rates of 18O(p,n)18F compared to 20Ne(d,alpha)18F. I found a 1979 graph that showed some nice curves between 2.3 and 22 MeV but I wanted to see what things looked like between 1 MeV and 2.5 MeV. So I went here:
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?as=16&lib=endfb7.0&nsub=10010

and found a neat interface for extracting ENDF data (plus other data sources). However, when I selected "deuteron reactions", the only available data was for H, He and Li! And when I selected "proton reactions" while Oxygen was available it was only for 16O, not the 18O isotope.

Any suggestions for data alternatives? There is a lot of data on neutron cross sections. Is this neutron data useful for getting reasonable transmutation estimates for p or d?

Thanks,

Marlin

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
This tool looks like it can give me the data I'm looking for, plus it makes plots which was another part of my goal: EXFOR/CSISRS Experimental Nuclear Reaction Data.
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/exfor/index.htm

Marlin

Last edited by a moderator:

Hi Marlin,

Thanks for sharing your findings on the 18F production rates. It seems like you have done some thorough research and have come across some interesting data.

As for finding data alternatives, have you tried checking out other nuclear data libraries such as the JENDL or CENDL libraries? They may have more comprehensive data on deuteron and proton reactions for oxygen isotopes.

In terms of using neutron cross section data for transmutation estimates, it can be useful but it may not give you the most accurate results. The most accurate estimates would come from specific cross section data for the reactions you are interested in. However, using neutron data can give you a rough estimate and can be a good starting point for further research.

I hope this helps and good luck with your research!

1. What is cross section data?

Cross section data is a type of research data that is collected by taking measurements or observations at a specific point in time or space. It is often used to analyze relationships between variables and can provide valuable insights into a particular phenomenon or population.

2. How is cross section data collected?

Cross section data can be collected through various methods such as surveys, experiments, or observational studies. Researchers typically use sampling techniques to gather data from a representative sample of the population of interest.

3. What are some common gaps in cross section data?

Some common gaps in cross section data include missing data, incomplete data, and outliers. These gaps can occur due to errors in data collection, data entry, or sample selection. It is important for researchers to identify and address these gaps in order to ensure the accuracy and reliability of their data.

4. How do researchers fill in the gaps in cross section data?

There are several techniques that researchers can use to fill in the gaps in cross section data. These include imputation methods, which involve estimating missing values based on existing data, and data cleaning techniques, which involve identifying and correcting errors in the data.

5. What are some best practices for analyzing cross section data?

When analyzing cross section data, it is important to carefully consider the research question and choose appropriate statistical methods. It is also important to thoroughly clean and validate the data before conducting any analysis. Additionally, it is recommended to document the entire data collection and analysis process to ensure transparency and reproducibility of the results.