Threshold energy,cross section of incident proton on oxygen-18

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 5K views
flied
Messages
22
Reaction score
1
Dear Forum:

I would like to know where could I find
charged particle interaction cross section for oxygen-18?
I know I can get some of it from ENDF.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm

Where can I get reference,like the threshold energy for 18O(p,n)18F is 2.5MeV and its cross section.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/o8p18f0.html

How can I get the threshold energy and cross section and reference of them.
p + O18 -> O17 + n + p
p + O18 -> N14 + n + alpha

or after 5MeV, 10MeV, 20 MeV different reaction will happen ?
thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
The threshold energy is just energy (+momentum if you want to be precise) conservation.
I have no idea about cross-section sources for various energies.
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: 1 person
flied said:
Dear Forum:

I would like to know where could I find
charged particle interaction cross section for oxygen-18?
I know I can get some of it from ENDF.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/exfor/endf.htm

Where can I get reference,like the threshold energy for 18O(p,n)18F is 2.5MeV and its cross section.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/o8p18f0.html

How can I get the threshold energy and cross section and reference of them.
p + O18 -> O17 + n + p
p + O18 -> N14 + n + alpha

or after 5MeV, 10MeV, 20 MeV different reaction will happen ?
thanks
I believe one has identified the key source for such information. O-18 is relatively rare, 0.205% of natural oxygen. I believe one will have to go to the literature to find cross-sections and thresholds for p,n reactions.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/o8p18f7.html
 
Thanks.
I know that O-18 is a relatively rare element, so it's not easy to find information about it.
Considering the most general one like O-16 in water,
how could I know what kind of nuclear reaction will occur if charged particle like proton interact with it.
There is 16O(p,a)13N.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/o6p13n0.html
How to get information about if the incident proton energy is 10MeV, 20MeV.
What other kinds of nuclear reaction occurs ?
 
flied said:
Thanks.
I know that O-18 is a relatively rare element, so it's not easy to find information about it.
Considering the most general one like O-16 in water,
how could I know what kind of nuclear reaction will occur if charged particle like proton interact with it.
There is 16O(p,a)13N.
https://www-nds.iaea.org/medical/o6p13n0.html
How to get information about if the incident proton energy is 10MeV, 20MeV.
What other kinds of nuclear reaction occurs ?
I believe one has to go to the literature, most likely articles on cosmic radiation or solar protons and their interactions in the atmosphere.

Brookhaven National Laboratory publishes cross-section data.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/

One can then select particular reactions and databases, e.g.,
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?show=nd.3&as=16&lib=jendl3.3&nsub=10010
 
Astronuc said:
I believe one has to go to the literature, most likely articles on cosmic radiation or solar protons and their interactions in the atmosphere.

Brookhaven National Laboratory publishes cross-section data.

http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/

One can then select particular reactions and databases, e.g.,
http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/sigma/index.jsp?show=nd.3&as=16&lib=jendl3.3&nsub=10010

Astronuc , thanks for your response.
I select all of the 8 library to find proton interaction with O-16,
but it seems that I can not even find 16O(p,a)13N out of it.