Where can you find the true definition of inertia?

  • Level: High School 
  • Thread starter Thread starter student85
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Definitions Inertia
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
8 replies · 2K views
student85
Messages
138
Reaction score
0
Lately I've been curious about the very meaning of the most fundamental concepts in physics like inertia. Where do you think is the best place to look for these definitions. Newton's principia?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I imagine it wouldn't be too friendly to read. We're used to 3D illustrations in our physics textbooks, reinforcement through applications, etc. I haven't read the principia.

I think to feel and be moved by fundamental physics concepts like inertia, you need to go out, experiment and reason it out for yourself.
 
Wow, 2 whole seconds to look on google.

http://burndy.mit.edu/Collections/Babson/Online/pdfs/Books/PrincipiaMathematica1726.pdf

(Hope you know latin)
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Pete81t said:
Where could I find a copy of Newton's Principia?

Don't want to discourage you, but you'll be very dissapointed. :smile:
 
An English translation perhaps? Thanks. I don't know about you, but I'm not exactly a Latin scholar. And another thing, I meant a copy in book form, such as my copy of St. Thomas Aquinas's "Summa Theologica".
 
Here are some chapters translated: http://members.tripod.com/~gravitee/" .
 
Last edited by a moderator: