Moment of inertia derivation for a uniform disk

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 4K views
amcavoy
Messages
663
Reaction score
0
I am having a bit of trouble deriving the moment of inertia for a disk with uniform density:

[tex]I=\int r^{2}\,dm=\int \rho r^{2}\,dV[/tex]

For a disk, I just used dA instead of dV. Now, to calculate the density:

[tex]\rho = \frac{\text{mass}}{\text{volume}}=\frac{m}{\pi r^{2}}[/tex]

So now we have:

[tex]I=\int \rho r^{2}\,dA=\frac{m}{\pi}\int \,dA=\boxed{mr^{2}}[/tex]

However, I know that the moment of inertia for a disk is [itex]\frac{1}{2}mr^{2}[/itex]. Where did I go wrong?

Thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Nevermind I see where I went wrong (I used r twice, whereas I should have used R and r, where r ranges from 0 to R).
 
In the integral, one would have [itex]r^2\,\frac{m}{\pi\,r^2} r dr d\theta[/itex] the r2 terms cancel, and that leaves dA = r dr d[itex]d\theta[/itex].