Where do I find a list of univ/colleges that offers Master's degree in Physics?

In summary, while there is no one-size-fits-all answer to this question, there are a number of resources available to help you find the best graduate school for your needs. One of the best places to start is by searching the internet for lists of graduate schools that offer masters degrees in physics.
kNYsJakE
Thank you very much for you help in advance =)

Physics news on Phys.org
You do need to be careful. Pretty much every university that offers a Ph.D. in physics will offer a Masters in physics, but the vast majority will not admit students for a masters degree.

Something that would be useful is if you start with the AIP list of graduate schools and then pull out the schools that offer terminal masters in physics. If you find out, please post it since I'd be interested to see that list.

If you're looking for a terminal master's degree, you might consider a PSM in Physics. It combines graduate physics courses with some business management courses.

Here's the one at my school: http://grad.towson.edu/program/master/apph-ms/

It's 6 physics courses, 3 business (project management) courses, a research seminar, and then either a master's thesis or an internship.

kNYsJakE said:
Thank you very much for you help in advance =)

Your question lacks a very important piece of information - where in the world are you looking at?.

This is an international forum with people from all over the world. If you are looking for masters program in, say, Australia, and we give you a list for the UK, that would be a total waste of time and effort, wouldn't it?

Zz.

Thanks all for your kind replies. I'm currently in the United States and I'm trying to go to graduate school in US as well. The reason why I am asking if there is a list for the Graduate school that offers master's degree is because I want to get good grades and results during my Master's degree and go to an higher ranked school for my Ph.D. Thanks again for your advices and helps.

You need to know that in the US, in physics, one does not normally do the M.S. and Ph.D. separately. Students who intend to pursue a Ph.D., enter a Ph.D. program after finishing a bachelor's degree. During the course of the Ph.D. program, usually after finishing the required coursework, you can normally "pick up" a master's degree along the way.

kNYsJakE said:
Thanks all for your kind replies. I'm currently in the United States and I'm trying to go to graduate school in US as well. The reason why I am asking if there is a list for the Graduate school that offers master's degree is because I want to get good grades and results during my Master's degree and go to an higher ranked school for my Ph.D. Thanks again for your advices and helps.

Read ZapperZ's sticky at the top of the forum.

I think I've said that phrase on this forum more than anything else, now that I think of it...

kNYsJakE said:

You should, by the time you are about to get your undergraduate degree, be familiar with two important institutions - the American Physical Society (APS) (which you can be a member to with you are a member of the Society of Physics Students), and the American Institute of Physics (AIP), which publishes a bunch of statistics, including the http://www.aip.org/statistics/trends/reports/physrost.pdf" at every level.

Zz.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the best way to find a list of universities or colleges that offer Master's degree in Physics?

There are several ways to find a list of universities or colleges that offer Master's degree in Physics. One way is to use a search engine and type in "list of universities/colleges with Master's degree in Physics" or "Master's in Physics programs". You can also check the websites of professional organizations related to Physics, such as the American Physical Society or the Institute of Physics, as they often have a list of accredited universities and colleges offering graduate programs in Physics.

2. How can I narrow down my search for Master's degree programs in Physics?

To narrow down your search, you can use filters such as location, program specialization, and cost. Some websites, like GradSchools.com, allow you to search for specific programs and filter by location, degree level, and program format (online or on-campus). You can also visit the websites of individual universities or colleges to get more information about their Physics programs.

3. Is there a comprehensive list of universities and colleges that offer Master's degree in Physics?

While there are many resources available for finding programs in Physics, there is not one comprehensive list of all universities and colleges offering Master's degree in Physics. This is because there are constantly new programs being developed and existing programs may change or discontinue. It is best to use multiple resources and cross-reference information to ensure you have an up-to-date and comprehensive list.

4. Are there any websites that provide rankings of Master's degree programs in Physics?

Yes, there are websites that provide rankings of Master's degree programs in Physics, such as US News and World Report, QS World University Rankings, and Times Higher Education. However, it is important to note that rankings can vary depending on the criteria used and may not accurately reflect the quality of a particular program. It is recommended to use rankings as one factor in your decision-making process.

5. How can I find out if a university or college's Master's degree program in Physics is accredited?

The best way to find out if a university or college's Master's degree program in Physics is accredited is to check the website of the accrediting agency. In the United States, the main accrediting agency for Physics programs is the Accreditation Board for Engineering and Technology (ABET). You can also check the university or college's website, as they often list their accreditation status and the accrediting agency. It is important to choose an accredited program as it ensures the program meets certain standards of quality and can be recognized by other institutions and employers.