1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where do mathematical inequalities come from?

1. Oct 27, 2016 #1
    what do you think are the inspirations or motivations that lead to inequality statements like am-gm, bernoullie's inequality, etc...? are they inspired by physics, engineering...? learning them for the first time made me wonder where they came from. thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 27, 2016 #2

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Inequality statements are inspired by the desire to communicate.
    Every time you want to say that something occupies all values up to (and maybe including) a certain one, you will need an inequality statement.
    Like, I am working all "days from now up to next thursday inclusive" is an inequality statement.

4. Oct 28, 2016 #3

symbolipoint

Homework Helper
    Education Advisor
    Gold Member

Simon Bridge's response makes so good sense that I want to apply TWO "like"s to it but doing so only cancels the first "like".

5. Oct 28, 2016 #4

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

Maths is a language ... :)

6. Oct 28, 2016 #5

Simon Bridge

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    2016 Award

For instance:
    If d is a day in which I am working, and today is day a, and "next Thursday" is day t, then I am working: ##a\leq d \leq t##
    If I start work tomorrow, instead, then ##a < d \leq t## ... it's a nice short way to write it down.
    If my days are numbered (and I don't count parts of days) then ##a < d \leq t## is the same as ##a+1 \leq d \leq t## because a+1 will be the day after today.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted