Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Where does higgs boson get its mass?

1. Jul 9, 2012 #1
    Does it interact with other higgs bosons? Do they also do the same? It cannot go ad infinitum or can it?

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 9, 2012 #2

phinds

Gold Member
    2016 Award

The theory is that particles, including the Higgs boson, get their mass from the Higgs FIELD, not from the Higgs boson.

4. Jul 9, 2012 #3
    I can't see how this forbids the interaction with bosons.

5. Jul 9, 2012 #4
    Not sure what you're getting at.
    Elementary particles (electrons, muons, W bosons, Higgs bosons, etc...) gain their mass by interacting with Higgs field. Higgs boson is an excitation of that field. Higgs boson can interact with other particles, but it's not particularly abundant in the universe and it's presence is not required for other particles to have mass.

6. Jul 9, 2012 #5
    And does the Higgs boson interact with Higgs field?

7. Jul 9, 2012 #6
    Sure, as I said:

8. Jul 11, 2012 #7
    I am an interested observer not a scientist, my doubt is that if higgs boson is made up of fundamental particles, so who gains the mass first???
    Higgs boson or the particles which constitute it??

9. Jul 11, 2012 #8
    Higgs boson is thought to be elementary, i.e. not made of other particles.

10. Jul 11, 2012 #9
    I am not understanding what do you mean by higgs boson gain mass by interacting with the higgs field, does it mean continuous interaction or instantaneous interaction???

11. Jul 11, 2012 #10

sophiecentaur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

You may be asking too much if you want an answer that you will understand. There isn't an answer to any of these questions in terms of billiard ball type models. Particles aren't particles as you would recognise them, for a start. (Just look at what's written about the photon and we've been 'familiar' with those things for a hundred years.) Higgs is all esoteric stuff and there's a lot of hot air flying around about it at the moment from the dreaded 'Journalists'. I don't think they are helping anyone really - except to get people to accept the vast sums of money being spent (so not all bad).

12. Jul 11, 2012 #11
    Higgs gains its mass because in the lagrangian that describes the dynamic of your model, you have that the Higgs field couples with itself in a way that you have a mass term... that mass is the Higg's one...

It's not like what interacts first with the other... it's totally meaningless for your notation...

13. Jul 11, 2012 #12
    It's not a "kick" that happens once and then it's over, if that's what you're asking. If your familiar with classical electromagnetism then you can imagine it as charge interacting with EM field. EM field tells charge how to move, Higgs field tells particle how much mass it has. The big difference here is that EM field - charge interaction goes both ways whereas Higgs field - particle interaction goes one way.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook