Where does higgs boson get its mass?

In summary, the conversation discusses the interaction of Higgs bosons with other particles and the Higgs field. It is theorized that particles gain their mass from the Higgs field, not from the Higgs boson itself. The Higgs boson can interact with other particles, but it is not abundant in the universe and its presence is not necessary for other particles to have mass. The conversation also touches on the esoteric nature of the Higgs boson and the difficulty in fully understanding its interactions.
2sin54
Does it interact with other higgs bosons? Do they also do the same? It cannot go ad infinitum or can it?

Physics news on Phys.org
Gytax said:
Does it interact with other higgs bosons? Do they also do the same? It cannot go ad infinitum or can it?

The theory is that particles, including the Higgs boson, get their mass from the Higgs FIELD, not from the Higgs boson.

phinds said:
The theory is that particles, including the Higgs boson, get their mass from the Higgs FIELD, not from the Higgs boson.

I can't see how this forbids the interaction with bosons.

Gytax said:
I can't see how this forbids the interaction with bosons.
Not sure what you're getting at.
Elementary particles (electrons, muons, W bosons, Higgs bosons, etc...) gain their mass by interacting with Higgs field. Higgs boson is an excitation of that field. Higgs boson can interact with other particles, but it's not particularly abundant in the universe and it's presence is not required for other particles to have mass.

Dead Boss said:
Elementary particles (electrons, muons, W bosons, Higgs bosons, etc...) gain their mass by interacting with Higgs field. Higgs boson is an excitation of that field. Higgs boson can interact with other particles, but it's not particularly abundant in the universe and it's presence is not required for other particles to have mass.

And does the Higgs boson interact with Higgs field?

Gytax said:
And does the Higgs boson interact with Higgs field?
Sure, as I said:
Elementary particles (electrons, muons, W bosons, Higgs bosons, etc...) gain their mass by interacting with Higgs field.

I am an interested observer not a scientist, my doubt is that if higgs boson is made up of fundamental particles, so who gains the mass first?
Higgs boson or the particles which constitute it??

Higgs boson is thought to be elementary, i.e. not made of other particles.

Dead Boss said:
I am not understanding what do you mean by higgs boson gain mass by interacting with the higgs field, does it mean continuous interaction or instantaneous interaction?

Blogical said:
I am an interested observer not a scientist, my doubt is that if higgs boson is made up of fundamental particles, so who gains the mass first?
Higgs boson or the particles which constitute it??

Blogical said:
I am not understanding what do you mean by higgs boson gain mass by interacting with the higgs field, does it mean continuous interaction or instantaneous interaction?

You may be asking too much if you want an answer that you will understand. There isn't an answer to any of these questions in terms of billiard ball type models. Particles aren't particles as you would recognise them, for a start. (Just look at what's written about the photon and we've been 'familiar' with those things for a hundred years.) Higgs is all esoteric stuff and there's a lot of hot air flying around about it at the moment from the dreaded 'Journalists'. I don't think they are helping anyone really - except to get people to accept the vast sums of money being spent (so not all bad).

Higgs gains its mass because in the lagrangian that describes the dynamic of your model, you have that the Higgs field couples with itself in a way that you have a mass term... that mass is the Higg's one...

It's not like what interacts first with the other... it's totally meaningless for your notation...

Blogical said:
It's not a "kick" that happens once and then it's over, if that's what you're asking. If your familiar with classical electromagnetism then you can imagine it as charge interacting with EM field. EM field tells charge how to move, Higgs field tells particle how much mass it has. The big difference here is that EM field - charge interaction goes both ways whereas Higgs field - particle interaction goes one way.

1. Where does the Higgs Boson get its mass?

The Higgs Boson gets its mass from the Higgs field, which permeates all of space and gives particles mass through interactions with the field. This concept is known as the Higgs mechanism.

2. How was the existence of the Higgs Boson confirmed?

The existence of the Higgs Boson was confirmed through experiments at the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) in Geneva, Switzerland. Scientists observed the decay of the Higgs Boson into other particles, providing evidence of its existence.

3. Can the Higgs Boson's mass change?

The Higgs Boson's mass is believed to be constant and does not change. However, its interactions with other particles can affect its perceived mass due to the Higgs field.

4. Why is the Higgs Boson called the "God Particle"?

The term "God Particle" was coined by Nobel Prize-winning physicist Leon Lederman, who wanted to title his book on the Higgs Boson "The Goddamn Particle" due to its elusive nature. However, the publisher shortened it to the "God Particle" and the name stuck, despite many scientists disliking the term.

5. Are there other particles that interact with the Higgs field?

Yes, there are other particles that interact with the Higgs field, such as the W and Z bosons, which are responsible for the weak nuclear force. The Higgs field interacts with all particles that have mass, giving them their respective masses.