Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from?

1. Feb 2, 2016 #1
    Where does the emf radiation from an elliptical come from? Just the console? I just read an article about dirty "electric pollution," and I was wondering.

2. jcsd
  3. Feb 2, 2016 #2

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

An elliptical what?

4. Feb 2, 2016 #3
  5. Feb 2, 2016 #4

berkeman

6. Feb 2, 2016 #5
    Dirty electricity refers to emf radiation. I read about it in this study: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18568931

7. Feb 2, 2016 #6

berkeman

Interesting. I'm very skeptical about that article and the first one on the associated articles list, and will look into it further.

To answer your question, they are referring to Electromagnetic Interference (EMI) generated by many electronic devices. There are government regulations in most countries that limit the levels of EMI that can be radiated by commercial devices. In the USA, the FCC is the government agency that is responsible for the regulations and enforcement of EMI.

The article implies a hypersensitivity to EMI by some individuals, which I find hard to believe. As I said, I will look into this more...

8. Feb 2, 2016 #7

Yes, please let me know! I am concerned about using the elliptical at the gym. I have heard that "Argenmesh" can block radiation (https://www.amazon.com/ArgenMesh-Conductive-Shielding-Silver-Fabric/dp/B008DXBFYQ). Some people have reported that they cannot receive phone calls from their cell phone when using Argenmesh to wrap it. I was wondering: if I shielded the elliptical console with Argenmesh, would it be okay to use without EMI?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  9. Feb 2, 2016 #8
    Thank you so much by the way!

10. Feb 2, 2016 #9

berkeman

I don't think there is anything special about the elliptical exercise machine -- I think they are referring to EMI in general.

I still am very skeptical about the article, but are you in one of the more at-risk groups that they are identifying?

Last edited by a moderator: May 7, 2017
  11. Feb 2, 2016 #10

berkeman

Thread is closed for Moderation -- the paper is a questionable source, it would appear...

12. Feb 2, 2016 #11

berkeman

Thread will remain closed. The paper is not from a valid source (despite information about it being posted on a government website). The paper (and others related to it) is based on poor science, bordering on pseudo-science.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook