Where Is the Average Position of a Particle in a Box?

  • Thread starter Thread starter andresordonez
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Box Particle
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 2K views
andresordonez
Messages
65
Reaction score
0
SOLVED
(Example 6.15 from Modern Physics 3e- Serway)

Homework Statement


Compute the average position <x> for the particle in a box assuming it is in the ground state

Homework Equations


[tex] |\Psi|^2=(2/L)\sin^2{(\pi x/L)}[/tex]
[tex] <x> = \int^{x_0+L}_{x_0}x|\Psi|^2dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution


[tex] <x>=x_0+L/2-\frac{L}{2\pi}\sin{\frac{2\pi x_0}{L}}[/tex]

I'm pretty sure this is the answer, however, I don't understand why I get that last term, I mean, the average position should be [tex]x_0 + L/2[/tex] right?

If I take [tex]x_0=0[/tex] then the answer is what I was hoping for (Indeed this is the original procedure in the book), but in the more general expression with [tex]x_0 \neq 0[/tex] I get the previous answer.
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you take the well with [itex]x_0[/itex] at the left side, then your wavefunction should also be shifted with respect to the solution for [itex]x_0=0[/itex].

You're missing [itex]x_0[/itex]in the expression for the wavefunction.