Where is the mercury contained in a CFL

• Thread starter jrs_73
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mercury
In summary, the conversation involved breaking a CFL bulb and concerns about mercury exposure. The poison control representative stated that the amount of mercury in a CFL is not a cause for alarm and it may not have been released due to the location of the break. It was also mentioned that the mercury is contained in an enclosed area on the ballast end and is not concentrated near it. It was noted that the amount of mercury in a single bulb is considered a chronic hazard and should only be a problem if a bulb is broken daily."
jrs_73
Hello all,

This evening, I broke a hole near the tip of a spiral CFL similar to this one while screwing on a glass cover over a ceiling light fixture in what will become a new baby's room:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/0/0b/Compact-Flourescent-Bulb.jpg/180px-Compact-Flourescent-Bulb.jpg" [Broken].

I spoke to poison control and was told that the amount of mercury contained in a CFL (3-5mg) is nothing to be alarmed about.

The poison control rep also told me that I may not have even released the mercury at all because I broke the bulb at the end furthest away from the ballast. She stated that the mercury is actually contained in an enclosed area on the ballast end...is that true?

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Compact_fluorescent_lamp

I would assume that the mecuy vapour is present within an enclosed space close to the ballast, so that the eletric current can be fed through it easily, but I guess it would depend on manufacturer and design.

They reckon that the amount in a tube is only a chronic hazard, so it should only present a problem if you break a bulb every day.

The mercury is actually contained as elemental vapor in the gas, not condentrated near the ballast. The plasma discharge excites a UV level (I think around 3800 Angstroms) in mercury, which is not visible. The white coating on the inside of the glass absorbs this radiation and reemits visible (longer wavelength) light.
Bob S

1. Where is the mercury contained in a CFL?

The mercury in a CFL is contained in the glass tubing of the bulb. It is a small amount, typically only about 4 milligrams.

2. Is the mercury in a CFL dangerous?

While the amount of mercury in a CFL is small, it is still considered a hazardous substance. It is important to handle and dispose of CFLs properly to prevent any potential harm.

3. How does mercury impact the environment?

Mercury is a toxic substance that can harm plants, animals, and humans. When released into the environment, it can accumulate in ecosystems and cause harm to living organisms.

4. Can the mercury in a CFL be recycled?

Yes, the mercury in a CFL can be recycled. Many hardware and home improvement stores offer recycling programs for CFLs. It is important to properly recycle CFLs to prevent the release of mercury into the environment.

5. What are the potential health risks associated with exposure to mercury in CFLs?

Exposure to mercury in CFLs can cause a variety of health issues, including respiratory problems, skin reactions, and neurological effects. It is important to handle and dispose of CFLs properly to prevent any potential health risks.

Back