Where is the recurrence stable in the (n,x) plane for increasing n?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
2 replies · 1K views
member 428835

Homework Statement


In the ##(n,x)## plane, where is the recurrence stable for increasing ##n##?

$$E_{n+1}(x) = \frac{1}{n}\left( \exp(-x)-xE_n(x)\right):E_n\equiv \int_1^\infty \frac{\exp(-xt)}{t^n}\,dt$$
and ##n\in \mathbb{N},\:x\geq0##.

Homework Equations


Nothing comes to mind.

The Attempt at a Solution


I really don't know how to proceed because I don't understand what "stable" means in this context. I was hoping someone with more experience could help me out. I typically have an approach when posting here, but this time I'm stuck.

Nothing on this topic is in the book we're using, so I'm stuck.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
"Stable" usually means unchanging, so my best guess in this problem is that for what x will ##E_n = E_{n + 1}##?
 
  • Like
Likes   Reactions: member 428835
Ohhhh gotcha! And thanks! So my thoughts are to write a code that computes the difference between ##E_n## and ##E_{n+1}## and see when that difference is very small. What do you think?