A very weird improper integral on ^n

In summary, the question asks to verify the equation \int_{ℝ^n}exp(-\frac{λ}{2} \langle Ax, x \rangle-i \langle x,ζ \rangle )dx=(\frac{2\pi}{λ})^{\frac{1}{2}}(detA)^{-\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{1}{2λ} \langle A^{-1}ζ, ζ \rangle ) where A is a symmetric matrix of complex numbers, ζ is a vector in ℝ^n, and <ReA x, x> is positive definite. The suggested approach is to use Fubini's Theorem and perform an iterated integration after making
raopeng

Homework Statement

Verify that [itex]\int_{ℝ^n}exp(-\frac{λ}{2} \langle Ax, x \rangle-i \langle x,ζ \rangle )dx=(\frac{2\pi}{λ})^{\frac{1}{2}}(detA)^{-\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{1}{2λ} \langle A^{-1}ζ, ζ \rangle )[/itex] where A is a symmetric matrix of complex numbers and <ReA x, x> is positive definite, and λ is a positive constant. ζ is a vector in ℝ^n

Homework Equations

Fubini's Theorem?

The Attempt at a Solution

The question is a lot easier if A is brought to diagonal form, so it is reasonable to make a change of variable that x= C y where C belongs to SO(n) such that C^-1 A C = B is diagonal. Since this change of variables means only geometrically a rotation of the R^n plane it should not change the range of values for integrating(still from -∞ to ∞). After this transformation we should be able to apply Fubini's Theorem and perform an iterated integration. But in the exponential function [itex]exp(-i\langle Cy, ζ \rangle)[/itex] is still left to be dealt with and it doesn't come any where close that it could be of the form [itex]exp(-\frac{1}{2λ} \langle A^{-1}ζ, ζ \rangle)[/itex] after integration as the answer suggests.. right now I'm trully stuck here.. Thanks for any help in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
det A here means [itex]|det A| exp(i \sum_0^n{arg w_i})[/itex] where w is the eigenvalue of A.
This question even takes 20 minutes to type.. or I really suck at latex..

1. What is an improper integral on ^n?

An improper integral on ^n is a type of integral that involves a function with an infinite limit of integration. It is called "improper" because the integral does not have a finite value and therefore requires special techniques to evaluate it.

2. How is an improper integral on ^n different from a regular integral?

An improper integral on ^n is different from a regular integral because it involves an infinite limit of integration, while a regular integral has finite limits. This means that the function being integrated may not exist or have a finite value at certain points within the interval, which makes it more challenging to evaluate.

3. What are some techniques used to evaluate an improper integral on ^n?

Some techniques commonly used to evaluate an improper integral on ^n include splitting the integral into two or more finite integrals, using the limit comparison test, and using substitution or integration by parts.

4. Can an improper integral on ^n have a finite value?

Yes, an improper integral on ^n can have a finite value if it satisfies certain conditions, such as the function being integrated approaching a finite limit at the infinite limit of integration. In this case, the integral is said to converge.

5. What are some real-life applications of improper integrals on ^n?

Improper integrals on ^n are commonly used in physics, engineering, and other scientific fields to solve problems involving infinite quantities. For example, they can be used to calculate the total mass or energy of a system, or to determine the probability of an event occurring in a continuous distribution.