1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

A very weird improper integral on ^n

1. Jun 22, 2013 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Verify that [itex]\int_{ℝ^n}exp(-\frac{λ}{2} \langle Ax, x \rangle-i \langle x,ζ \rangle )dx=(\frac{2\pi}{λ})^{\frac{1}{2}}(detA)^{-\frac{1}{2}}exp(-\frac{1}{2λ} \langle A^{-1}ζ, ζ \rangle )[/itex] where A is a symmetric matrix of complex numbers and <ReA x, x> is positive definite, and λ is a positive constant. ζ is a vector in ℝ^n

2. Relevant equations
    Fubini's Theorem?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The question is a lot easier if A is brought to diagonal form, so it is reasonable to make a change of variable that x= C y where C belongs to SO(n) such that C^-1 A C = B is diagonal. Since this change of variables means only geometrically a rotation of the R^n plane it should not change the range of values for integrating(still from -∞ to ∞). After this transformation we should be able to apply Fubini's Theorem and perform an iterated integration. But in the exponential function [itex]exp(-i\langle Cy, ζ \rangle)[/itex] is still left to be dealt with and it doesn't come any where close that it could be of the form [itex]exp(-\frac{1}{2λ} \langle A^{-1}ζ, ζ \rangle)[/itex] after integration as the answer suggests.. right now I'm trully stuck here.. Thanks for any help in advance!

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 22, 2013 #2
    det A here means [itex]|det A| exp(i \sum_0^n{arg w_i})[/itex] where w is the eigenvalue of A.
    This question even takes 20 minutes to type.. or I really suck at latex..

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted