Where should I go for undergraduate study?

In summary, the three schools that the author has been accepted to are Harvard, Princeton, and MIT. The author recommends that the student visit all three schools before making a decision.
Sferics
Hello!

I am a current high school senior fortunate enough to have been accepted to Harvard, Princeton, and MIT, and I am having trouble making a decision. Although I have not yet visited any of these schools, I plan to in the coming weeks.

A little about myself: I am interested in majoring in physics, while also taking a lot of math (and maybe CS?) courses along the way. As far as long term goals go, I think I would really like working for some technology company like Apple or Nintendo, although I imagine becoming a university professor would be enjoyable as well.

I understand that it would be unrealistic and foolish of me to ask any of you to choose for me. Instead, I am interested in hearing any of your experiences with these universities (particularly in respect to their undergraduate schools), what I can expect from each, your personal recommendations, etc.

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sferics said:
I understand that it would be unrealistic and foolish of me to ask any of you to choose for me. Instead, I am interested in hearing any of your experiences with these universities (particularly in respect to their undergraduate schools), what I can expect from each, your personal recommendations, etc.

I have a lot of personal experience with MIT, and some experience with Harvard.

The big difference between MIT is that does everything it can to deflate your ego, whereas Harvard does everything it can to inflate your ego. MIT will make you work harder, and put you under more stress than you thought possible. It's a grinding, relentless place, but it can also be very caring and fun.

you can't really go wrong at anyone of those places. they are located in different towns. princeton in a small town, while mit and harvard are in the vicinity of a big town. you should just visit them all and see which one you like best. congratulations. you are asking essentially whether you should vacation in rome, bellagio, or florence.

If this is real, then first off congrats and I (and many other kids) would kill to be in your position...

I would go to MIT myself because of your intended focus, but Princeton would also be a fantastic place to spend your undergrad years (I would take Princeton over Harvard but that's just me)

I cannot make a decision for you regarding where to go for your undergraduate studies. It is important for you to visit each university and gather as much information as you can about their physics, math, and computer science programs. Additionally, consider factors such as location, campus culture, resources for undergraduate research, and opportunities for internships or co-ops. Talk to current students, alumni, and professors to get a better understanding of each university's strengths and weaknesses in relation to your interests and goals. Ultimately, the decision should be based on what feels like the best fit for you personally. Good luck with your decision and future studies!

1. Where should I go for undergraduate study?

This is a common question among students who are considering their options for undergraduate study. The answer depends on various factors such as your academic interests, financial resources, and personal preferences. It is important to research and visit different universities to determine which one is the best fit for you.

2. Should I choose a university based on its ranking?

While university rankings can be a helpful guide, they should not be the sole factor in your decision. Consider other important factors such as the department and faculty, available resources, and the overall campus environment. A highly-ranked university may not necessarily be the best fit for your specific needs and goals.

3. What are the benefits of attending a small vs. a large university?

This ultimately depends on your personal preferences and learning style. A small university may offer a more intimate and personalized learning experience, while a large university may offer a wider range of academic programs and opportunities. It is important to consider what type of environment will best support your academic and personal growth.

4. How important is the location of the university?

The location of the university can play a significant role in your overall college experience. Consider factors such as the cost of living, available resources and opportunities in the area, and the overall campus culture. It is also important to think about whether you would prefer a more urban or rural setting.

5. What should I consider when comparing tuition and financial aid packages?

When comparing tuition and financial aid packages, it is important to look beyond just the cost. Consider the types of financial aid offered, such as scholarships, grants, and loans, and the availability of resources such as work-study programs. It is also important to consider the overall value of the education and opportunities offered by the university.