Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here?

• Thread starter zoestorm
  • Start date

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Re: Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here???

Here's another way to find nerds. Hold up a sign.
(Just don't do this on a busy street or it will defeat your purpose.)

http://xkcd.com/356/
nerd_sniping.png

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

I would imagine that one could wait outside the class for SR or QM or . . . . and find a group of individuals of interest.

I used to spend time in the reading room of the physics department. That's where the latest issues of various journals would be kept.

Or one could visit the EE or other engineering departments.

Or library.

I remember the problem of the infinite mesh of 1 ohm resistors.

FlexGunship

Gold Member

So i have a crazy liking for smart guys. the nerdy-er the better!!
I'm pretty darn nerdy! I like trivia contests, and building things, and I'm an engineer and my bookshelf is full of Brian Greene and Michio Kaku books!

In fact if i could find a guy who also thinks a periodic table shower curtain is rad, loves to spend hours talking about the world we live in would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations i would be one insanely happy girl...
EDIT: Yes, that is a periodic table shower curtain in my condo.

IMG_20110104_185516.jpg

I'm sure I could reduce your coefficient of friction with a little acoustic exchange, baby girl. I'm full of useless knowledge, and I can turn every single fact into innuendo.

haha but seriously my point is i loove geeky guys, and i want to find one but where do they hang out???? All the guys i meet are jerks, i just wanna find a cute, sweet, funny, nerdy, geeky physicist. Is that too much to ask?? :P
Cute? Some people think I'm cute... sometimes. I'm 5'11" and I can pull the ears off of a gundark.
Flex.jpg

So come on guys someone please tell me how do i meet the man of my scientific dreams?

Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them???...maybe lil old New Zealand just doesnt have enough nerds for me :(
NEW ZEALAND?! Blech! Sorry, I'm in the States. Unless you want to have an internet relationship until you get up the courage to here, I don't know if I can help.

Last edited:

Try applying for some type of job with a local engineering firm. Even if you don't get the job you will have a good reason to be there and every person you meet will be a total nerd.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

Find one of these, and a nerd is nearby.

[PLAIN]http://www.jacmusic.com/html/articles/ericbarbour/tworks_fig3.jpg [Broken]

To initiate a conversation, causally mention the term "pentode".

[URL]http://www.zeitmann-tubes.com/images/Hickok%20539B/P0011231.JPG[/URL]

Last edited by a moderator:

Try applying for some type of job with a local engineering firm. Even if you don't get the job you will have a good reason to be there and every person you meet will be a total nerd.
Speaking from experience there?

In fact, my experience was the total opposite. Only a few nerds, well, one, well, two if you count me (I don't but others would disagree).

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor

Astronuc, pentode, schmentode. What one really needs is a Nixie Tube watch.

nwrd-viewing-tn.jpg

Only $395.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I would imagine that one could wait outside the class for SR or QM or . . . . and find a group of individuals of interest.

I used to spend time in the reading room of the physics department. That's where the latest issues of various journals would be kept.

Or one could visit the EE or other engineering departments.

Or library.

I remember the problem of the infinite mesh of 1 ohm resistors.
And, believe it or not, you can sometimes find nerds in a store aisle searching for razors or shaving cream.

Did I ever tell you you're a hippy? In the last couple weeks, at least? :rofl:

(But, he's a hippy nerd and that's an important distinction.)

turbo

Gold Member

Find one of these, and a nerd is nearby.

To initiate a conversation, causally mention the term "pentode".
I built a crude web-site to help other tube-nuts identify the various vacuum tubes by their physical characteristics. The paint on the envelope is not reliable, since the manufacturers often sub-contracted large contracts out to their competitors. Hosted by a good friend of mine who works at Berkeley.

Old 12AX7's and their variants can sometimes be found in really good condition at ham-club swap meets. They are highly prized by people like myself who repair or restore old guitar amps. The trick is to know what you're looking at - for instance not to pay $$ for a reproduction Telefunken when it can be ruled out as a repo worth maybe a couple of bucks.

http://www.eecs.berkeley.edu/~loarie/12ax7.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:

Sorry, I don't know any nerds. But my wife knows one. I'll ask her.

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

I'm pretty darn nerdy! I like trivia contests, and building things, and I'm an engineer and my bookshelf is full of Brian Greene and Michio Kaku books!

EDIT: Yes, that is a periodic table shower curtain in my condo.

IMG_20110104_185516.jpg

The shower curtain is a nice touch, but what is all that other junk laying on the bathroom floor? Is that a cooking pot?!

And your towels look black! Don't you ever wash them?!

The shower curtain is a nice touch, but what is all that other junk laying on the bathroom floor? Is that a cooking pot?!

And your towels look black! Don't you ever wash them?!
Blue towels, dirty laundry and a bin!

I think nerdy guys hang out in nerdy places. I myself like to go to sciency places like the Maker Fair or science museums. I also do a lot of alternative energy based workshops and classes at and around school. These kind of events always end up being sausage fests, so as the saying goes: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd".

would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations
HAHA!!! I've actually done this! Second Law FTW!

PS: The answer to the resistor grid question in the comic several posts above is 0.5 ohms.

jhae2.718

Gold Member

My advice: look around the aerospace engineering departments. (For, uh, no particular reason whatsoever...:wink:)

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

PS: The answer to the resistor grid question in the comic several posts above is 0.5 ohms.
No.

(We've had this cartoon posted before a little over three years ago.)

These kind of events always end up being sausage fests, so as the saying goes: "The odds are good, but the goods are odd".
Same here: when I've gone to tech meetups I've been one of maybe 3 girls, but some of the guys are actually hot so it's not all odd goods. Meetup New Zealand, though my experience has been with meetup NY (which has huge tech scene).

Oh, and Flex, you are a cutie.

Oh, and some company was giving out slide rules as recruitment swag 2 or 3 years back, so I've got a dinky one in a drawer somewhere. Try crashing yours, or ask your friends to. Or your relatives may have one: my grammy has one from her stint as an engineer.

Last edited:

cristo

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

HAHA!!! I've actually done this! Second Law FTW!
You've gotta be kidding. That's just weird!

lisab

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member

I agree - I mean, the second law of thermodynamics :confused:? Now if it had been Newton's first law...a body in motion...yeah, I can see how that can work...

Nah, really? And how about all those bodies that remain in a state of rest?

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

And, believe it or not, you can sometimes find nerds in a store aisle searching for razors or shaving cream.

Did I ever tell you you're a hippy? In the last couple weeks, at least? :rofl:

(But, he's a hippy nerd and that's an important distinction.)
Hmm - I've been called a hippy, but not a nerd. In high school, I did Explorers for several years since the post was hosted by Exxon's Research and Development Center. I think most of the guys would have qualified as nerds. They were mostly guys interested in math, science and computer, and not very atheletic.

I participated in sports in high school, played football and soccer, but not on the varsity team. I did weight lifting with the equipment the football team used. And I ran, and rode a bike. At 16, I could have easily lifted my father over my head.

And I had an interest in math and science, particularly astrophysics, nuclear and particle physics.

At university I played intramural sports, ran long distance, worked as a plumber and later as an iron worker.

While I had friends, I was pretty much a loner, and did my own thing.

I'm not exactly sure about what qualifies one to be a nerd these days.

I think there are plenty of athletic types who are also proficient in math and science. Several of the guys with whom I work are into motorcycles and sports cars, outdoor activities (like climbing, trekking, hiking, surfing, . . . ), and one guy is a black belt in Shaolin Kempo.

Yeah I know, I thought so too, but whatever bakes your cake. Its certainly better than what a lot of the other stuff people are into these days though.

Whoops, you're right. 0.5Ohms is the resistance across one resistor. I didn't notice the two red dots.

Astronuc, pentode, schmentode. What one really needs is a Nixie Tube watch.

nwrd-viewing-tn.jpg

Only $395.
Oooh... what a girl really needs is a guy that will give her a gift like that. :!!)

Slide rules are a dime a dozen. I've already got a few slide rules of my own, and I'll inherit my deceased father's collection when my mom finally parts with it.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor

Oooh... what a girl really needs is a guy that will give her a gift like that.
Valentine's Day is coming. Feel free to print out the picture and leave it where the hubby will find it.

Astronuc

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor

FlexGunship

Gold Member

Aww, I wish this thread wouldn't die. Zoe PM'd me like 3 days ago and I never got back to her. Sigh... bad timing.