Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here?

• Thread starter zoestorm
  • Start date
Z

zoestorm

Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here???

So i have a crazy liking for smart guys. the nerdy-er the better!! In fact if i could find a guy who also thinks a periodic table shower curtain is rad, loves to spend hours talking about the world we live in would be willing to whisper the laws of thermodynamics into my ear whilst we were partaking in "special" relations i would be one insanely happy girl...haha but seriously my point is i loove geeky guys, and i want to find one but where do they hang out???? All the guys i meet are jerks, i just wanna find a cute, sweet, funny, nerdy, geeky physicist. Is that too much to ask?? :P

So come on guys someone please tell me how do i meet the man of my scientific dreams?

Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them???...maybe lil old New Zealand just doesnt have enough nerds for me :(

Z

zoestorm

Re: Where the heck does a girl find a nerd around here???

I suppose i should say also when i use the word "nerd" what i am actually meaning is intelligent, witty and intellectual, an odd or eccentric personality and you know into stuff like experiments, usb powered rockets and LAN parties haha.

Drop the word shibboleet occasionally?

Z

zoestorm

Hahahaha Love it. So trying that one...im thinking it may just get me laid ;P

J

Jasongreat

Drop the word shibboleet occasionally?
It doesnt seem shes looking for a secret code to get in the backdoor. :D

BobG

Science Advisor
Homework Helper

You just need the right bait. Carry one of these around and they'll find you.

jfrisk_633003879440937500_pict0456.jpg

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor

Oooo....Is that a glass cursor?

Z

zoestorm

Haha i have no idea what it is, but it looks amazing. Where does one find such an alluring item? :P

Evo

Mentor
Z

zoestorm

No you have to tell me what it is, I hate feeling like im missing out on some important information. And clearly this could be the key to me find my mr nerdy....

Any tips as to where they hang out, how i can woo them???
Well here's what I'm thinking:

Consider all the places that you currently hang out where they aren't....

....and then go somewhere else!

Seriously, the way some of these threads are you'd swear people only hang out in specific places. Until you speak to someone you just won't know. It could be anywhere.

Anyhow, based on what I've seen the nerdiest people are found in a university - to identify them it's best to look for those wearing a lab coat - even though they aren't in the lab that day.

How much advantage I got from using a slide rule in exams where electronic calculators were forbidden ! zoestorm if you like a nerd, offer them one :smile:

Anyhow, based on what I've seen the nerdiest people are found in a university - to identify them it's best to look for those wearing a lab coat - even though they aren't in the lab that day.
So there are no nerds in physics departments?

Z

zoestorm

Well here's what I'm thinking:

Consider all the places that you currently hang out where they aren't....

....and then go somewhere else!

Seriously, the way some of these threads are you'd swear people only hang out in specific places. Until you speak to someone you just won't know. It could be anywhere.

Well i am at university, i study both physics and chemistry and i still cannot manage to find a nerdy guy. and "the way some of these threads go on" is fairly accurate I'd say.
I mean i cannot comment on what its like over there, but here in nz social groups are pretty predictable and seem to always hang out in certain places.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I dont know how i didnt think of that before, i mean its so simple...theyre not where i am, so go somewhere else...a theory even Einstein would have been impressed with.

Pengwuino

Gold Member

.... where does a girl find a nerd?? What the hell. I hope you're not looking at sporting events and at biker bars.

.... where does a girl find a nerd?? What the hell. I hope you're not looking at sporting events and at biker bars.
Exactly.
Well i am at university, i study both physics and chemistry and i still cannot manage to find a nerdy guy. and "the way some of these threads go on" is fairly accurate I'd say.
I mean i cannot comment on what its like over there, but here in nz social groups are pretty predictable and seem to always hang out in certain places.

Anyways thanks for the advice, I dont know how i didnt think of that before, i mean its so simple...theyre not where i am, so go somewhere else...a theory even Einstein would have been impressed with.
You said yourself you don't want a classic nerd, you just want someone with that intelligence but with social ability thrown in. So it's no good looking in classic nerd hotspots really, is it?

Also, if you know they hang out in certain places why not ask your peers where said places are? Someone around you is gonna give far better advice than us. Me telling you where to find a nerd in the UK is pretty much useless to you.

Hang on, you study physics and chemistry and can't find a nerd?
So there are no nerds in physics departments?
Don't believe that's what I said.

Simply pointing out that the best way to identify the nerds in my uni was to look for the ones constantly in their lab coats.

P

Physics Fan

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in college (back in the dark ages) there was a scarcity of women engineering students. So depending on how much things have evened out (or not) since then, you might try hanging around the engineering department, if your school has one.

I don't know what it's like now, but when I was in college (back in the dark ages) there was a scarcity of women engineering students. So depending on how much things have evened out (or not) since then, you might try hanging around the engineering department, if your school has one.
My year in engineering has about 50 males and 5 females.

P

Physics Fan

Haha i have no idea what it is, but it looks amazing. Where does one find such an alluring item? :P
Other than my desk drawer, you might find one in a museum. (I feel really old now!)

jhae2.718

Gold Member

http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/be12/

It's a sad thing that my first (and thus far only) contribution to a relationship thread is where to find a slide rule...

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Modern day slide-rules have nerdar, a detector used for finding nerds.

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Education Advisor

sliderule-magnetism.jpg