Where to Find a Budget-Friendly Crimp Tool for PCB Connectors?

• Thread starter Jdo300
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wire
In summary, the conversation is about finding an affordable crimp tool for PCB connectors. The person has found one at Digi-Key for $59.95, but is asking if anyone knows of a cheaper alternative. It is mentioned that using needle nose pliers can work but it is not ideal.
Jdo300
Hello All,

I'm going to have to make some plug connectors for a PCB I'm working on and they use these crimp pins here:

http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=H1500-ND

I'm trying to find a simple crimp tool for them that won't cost me my lunch money for the rest of the year :-p

I found this one here at Digi-Key for $59.95 that I *think* will work fo the above pins: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/DkSearch/dksus.dll?Detail?name=AV4999-ND but I'm wondering if anyone knows of another one that can do the same thing but costs less? Or are they all this expensive?

Thanks,
Jason O

Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally all crimp tools are expensive and don't work well unless you get the correct tool, and use the correct wire.
For a few connections you can just use needle nose pliers but it's tricky and takes time.

I understand the need for affordable tools in research and development. In this case, it seems that the crimp tool you have found on Digi-Key is the most cost-effective option for your specific needs. However, I suggest doing some further research and comparing prices from other suppliers to ensure you are getting the best deal. Additionally, you may want to consider the quality and durability of the tool, as a cheaper option may not last as long or provide accurate crimps. Ultimately, it is important to find a balance between affordability and functionality when selecting tools for scientific work.

Related to Where to Find a Budget-Friendly Crimp Tool for PCB Connectors?

1. What is an affordable wire crimp tool?

An affordable wire crimp tool is a handheld tool used for attaching a connector to the end of a wire. It is designed to crimp, or compress, the connector onto the wire for a secure connection.

2. How much does an affordable wire crimp tool cost?

The cost of an affordable wire crimp tool can vary depending on the brand, features, and quality. Generally, these tools can range from $10 to $50.

3. What are the key features to look for in an affordable wire crimp tool?

The key features to look for in an affordable wire crimp tool include a comfortable grip, adjustable crimp settings, a wide range of wire sizes it can accommodate, and a sturdy construction for durability.

4. Can an affordable wire crimp tool be used for different types of connectors?

Yes, most affordable wire crimp tools are designed to work with a variety of connectors, such as insulated and non-insulated terminals, butt connectors, and more.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when using an affordable wire crimp tool?

Yes, when using an affordable wire crimp tool, it is important to wear safety glasses to protect your eyes from flying debris. It is also recommended to use the tool on a stable surface and to keep your fingers away from the crimping jaws to avoid injury.