Where to find a schematic for a push-button combination cypher lock

• Thread starter davidbdix
  • Start date

Main Question or Discussion Point

im trying to build a cypher-type push-button non-electrical combination lock. the problem is there are no threads/schematics/drawings/specs/diagrams that actually instruct how the push button mechanics work. is there somewhere i could be looking for a schematic?

Answers and Replies

You could be creative, try coming up with your own design.

Given it's mechanical, it's going to have a fixed unlock pattern. Shouldn't take much to come up with something that would do it.

How complex do you want the design to be?

of course, i want the design as simple as possible, but just as effective as the push-button type lock. the easier the design, the less pain in the rear building it i am being creative, but there are so many moving parts in one of those locks, it's difficult to keep track of what-is-doing-what when i draw it up on paper.

If you mean just as effective as an electronic lock, you'll never get that.

I'd recommend clear plastic sheet to draw on. You can draw the mechanism for each button and layer them so you can see how they fit together / interact. But, with the added advantage of being able to see each individual one.

i don't care much for the electronic locks. the mechanical ones are the type i'm trying to duplicate. thanks for the idea about the clear paper.