Where to find a schematic for a push-button combination cypher lock

In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty of finding schematics or diagrams for a push-button combination lock and suggests creating a design using clear plastic sheets to visualize the mechanics. It also mentions the desire for a simple yet effective design and the recommendation to be creative. Some potential challenges and advantages of creating a mechanical lock are also mentioned.
davidbdix
im trying to build a cypher-type push-button non-electrical combination lock. the problem is there are no threads/schematics/drawings/specs/diagrams that actually instruct how the push button mechanics work. is there somewhere i could be looking for a schematic?

Computer science news on Phys.org
You could be creative, try coming up with your own design.

Given it's mechanical, it's going to have a fixed unlock pattern. Shouldn't take much to come up with something that would do it.

How complex do you want the design to be?

of course, i want the design as simple as possible, but just as effective as the push-button type lock. the easier the design, the less pain in the rear building it i am being creative, but there are so many moving parts in one of those locks, it's difficult to keep track of what-is-doing-what when i draw it up on paper.

If you mean just as effective as an electronic lock, you'll never get that.

I'd recommend clear plastic sheet to draw on. You can draw the mechanism for each button and layer them so you can see how they fit together / interact. But, with the added advantage of being able to see each individual one.

i don't care much for the electronic locks. the mechanical ones are the type I'm trying to duplicate. thanks for the idea about the clear paper.

1. How does a push-button combination cypher lock work?

A push-button combination cypher lock uses a series of buttons with numbers or letters on them to create a unique code that must be entered in the correct sequence to unlock the lock. The code is usually entered by pressing the buttons in a specific order or by pressing a specific combination of buttons at the same time.

2. Can I find a schematic for a push-button combination cypher lock online?

Yes, there are many websites and online forums that provide schematics for push-button combination cypher locks. These schematics can also be found in instructional manuals or on the manufacturer's website.

3. Are there different types of push-button combination cypher locks?

Yes, there are several different types of push-button combination cypher locks, including single-dial, multi-dial, and electronic locks. Each type may have a different design and require a different schematic for installation or repair.

4. How do I know which schematic to use for my specific push-button combination cypher lock?

It is important to use the correct schematic for your specific lock model. This information can usually be found in the instructional manual or on the manufacturer's website. If you are unsure, it is best to consult a professional locksmith.

5. Can I make my own push-button combination cypher lock using a schematic?

It is possible to make your own push-button combination cypher lock using a schematic, but it requires knowledge of electronics and the proper tools. It is recommended to purchase a pre-made lock from a reputable manufacturer for security purposes.