Where to study "Group Theory Physics"?

In summary, a PhD in physics may be the best way to go if you want to use group theory in your research, although there are many options available. Universities with strong theoretical particle physics programs may be the best place to look. There is a lot of overlap between theoretical particle physics and other fields of physics, so you may not need to focus specifically on group theory.
cuallito
The field of physics I'm most interested in is group theory. I know it's technically a math subject, but I'm interested in using it in physics. So I guess you'd say "group theory applications in physics." I already have a Bachelor's in Engineering Physics from University of Oklahoma. I want to go for my PhD in this area. Should I be looking at physics or math programs? Any specific universities where this type of research is happening?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don't know a lot about the really deep applications of group theory (crystallography is one area), but if you are more interested in understanding the laws of nature than in doing math for math's sake, you should do physics, even if it means you end up not using much group theory. In math departments, there are only a few people who know physics well enough to have much more than a superficial relationship to real physics.

Look into theoretical particle physics.

When it come to continuous symmetry operations, physics dominates in applications. I'd recommend checking out a book called An Introduction to Tensors and Group Theory for Physicists by N Jeevanjee.

However, group theory finds application in many other places. Here's a computer science problem that was solved with group theory techniques: http://users.cms.caltech.edu/~umans/papers/CKSU05.pdf
bluechic92 said:
Look into theoretical particle physics.

Particle physics definitely has a huge variety of group theory applications. I wanted to add if you study any field of physics you will encounter group theory again.

I know some math guys that study group theory for physics applications (topological insulators) as well, but it's a different style of research. Different strokes for different folks

Now is a really dreadful time to be aiming at particle physics, the field seems to be continually shrinking. Condensed matter seems to involve some group theory if that's your cup of tea.

EDIT: That said you can find group theory applied practically anywhere but your mileage may vary. I saw a review paper a few months ago on applications of group theory to biophysics, which is not a subject anybody would expect to involve group theory.

Last edited:

1. What is group theory in physics?

Group theory is a branch of mathematics that is used to study the symmetries and structures of physical systems. It provides a powerful framework for understanding the fundamental principles of physics and has applications in many areas, including quantum mechanics, particle physics, and condensed matter physics.

2. Where can I study group theory in physics?

Many universities offer courses in group theory as part of their physics curriculum. Some popular schools for studying group theory in physics include MIT, Harvard, Caltech, and Princeton. Additionally, there are online resources and textbooks available for self-study.

3. What are the prerequisites for studying group theory in physics?

A strong foundation in mathematics is essential for studying group theory in physics. This includes knowledge of linear algebra, calculus, and differential equations. Some familiarity with quantum mechanics and classical mechanics can also be helpful.

4. Are there any research opportunities in group theory physics?

Yes, there are many research opportunities available in group theory physics. You can work with professors at your university or apply for internships at research institutions. Some areas of current research in group theory include applications in quantum computing, understanding the fundamental symmetries of the universe, and developing new mathematical tools for analyzing physical systems.

5. What career paths are available for those who study group theory in physics?

Studying group theory in physics can lead to a variety of career paths. Many students go on to pursue graduate studies in physics or mathematics, while others may work in industries such as finance, data science, or engineering. Additionally, a background in group theory can be valuable in careers that require analytical thinking and problem-solving skills.