Where Will Earth's Magnetic Field Cancel a Wire's B-Field?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 2K views
Bolter
Messages
262
Reaction score
31
Homework Statement
Calculate the distance the neutral point is from the wire
Relevant Equations
Magnetic field strength due to current currying wire = u0 * I/(2*pi*d)
Hey everyone

So this is question shown below

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 12.36.21.png


I'm not so sure where to begin with this, but I thought I'd work out the net magnetic field first

IMG_3878.JPG


How would I work out the magnetic field strength that is acting on the vertical current-carrying wire. Since I do not know what d is in this case?

Any help would be really appreciated! Thanks
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Since the wire is vertical, the magnetic field produced by the wire should not be vertical, but horizontal. The vector you draw for Bv is vertical, I think that's why you're stuck.
 
bluemystic said:
Since the wire is vertical, the magnetic field produced by the wire should not be vertical, but horizontal. The vector you draw for Bv is vertical, I think that's why you're stuck.

Ok so that means to find the net magnetic field strength. I know that both the magnetic field produced by the current carry wire and horizontal magnetic field are both horizontal and facing the same direction

This gives me the net magnetic field as this

IMG_3882.JPG


I'm still not entire sure what to do with this net magnetic field expression to find the distance from neutral point?

EDIT: nevermind I think I have answered it now. I had equate B–wire = B–horizontal not sum them up together
 
Last edited:
Summing them is fine if you then equate the sum to zero. You get the same equation.

BTW did you work out the direction before Chester told you?
 
Merlin3189 said:
Summing them is fine if you then equate the sum to zero. You get the same equation.

BTW did you work out the direction before Chester told you?

Sorry for the late reply. Yeah I figured but then I had seen the post after correcting me.

I get 0.027m as my answer