Where's the first place I should go to learn QM?

• Thread starter Shain
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Qm
In summary, the conversation suggests that the person is interested in quantum mechanics but is unsure of where to start. They are recommended to have a strong background in classical mechanics, linear algebra, and calculus before delving into quantum mechanics. Suggestions for textbooks include "Modern Quantum Mechanics" by J. J. Sakurai and "Quantum Mechanics" by David Griffiths. It is also recommended to have some knowledge of probability theory and partial differential equations. The person is advised to take a class or read an introductory book such as "Modern Physics" by Raymond A. Serway before tackling more advanced texts like Griffiths.
Shain
I need the math. I get a little bored doing the low level stuff, and want to jump into it. As long as I'm interested I won't get bored. I started the other thread discrete wave functions below, and realized I like everything about QM. Hopefully I don't get bored.

Sorry I just read the forum rules, please move this thread.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
It's hard to say, where to start, because you didn't tell us, what you already know. On the physics side you should be pretty familiar with classical (Newtonian) mechanics in its formulation in Hamiltonian canonical formalism and Poisson brackets. On the math side you should have a good knowledge of linear algebra, including complex vector spaces with a scalar product and some calculus, including Fourier transformation.

Then I'd recommend to start with modern books that do not use the historical way of teaching QT. A good example is J. J. Sakurai, Modern Quantum Mechanics, which our professor of the QM 1 theory lecture recommended. I think that's a pretty nice starting point with the right balance between math and physics. You should not get involved too much in the formalities of functional analysis in the beginning, but later it is good to have at least some knowledge about the subtleties of, e.g., operators with a continuous spectrum, the rigged Hilbert space, etc.

Take a class.

For the math- depends... if you are new into QM, I'd suggest some probability theory...
Also partial derivative equations solutions and eigen-vector/value problems (are they called the Louivile? I don't remember for sure). And matrices can help too, once you work in the dirac notation - but you'll find it out yourself XD

Try "Quantum Mechanics" By David Griffiths. A fantastic author, and the textbook we use for class. He will give you the math and physics background you need.

samnorris93 said:
Try "Quantum Mechanics" By David Griffiths. A fantastic author, and the textbook we use for class. He will give you the math and physics background you need.

does really Griffith ever give the math needed?
He is very good in giving the physics though, in that I'll agree.

Also in general, I think Gasiorovich is good, but you need a stronger backround...

What exactly is your mathematical background at this point? If you're still in the calc sequence, I would recommend a modern physics book that introduces quantum at the intro level. You still get plenty of math but not quite the level if Griffiths. I used Modern Physics by Raymond A. Serway for my intro modern class and would recommend it.

1. What is the best resource to learn Quantum Mechanics?

The best resource to learn Quantum Mechanics is usually a combination of textbooks, lectures, and hands-on practice. Some recommended textbooks include "Introduction to Quantum Mechanics" by David J. Griffiths and "Quantum Mechanics: Principles and Formalism" by Roy McWeeny. Online lectures from reputable universities such as MIT or Stanford can also be helpful. Additionally, practicing solving problems and doing experiments in a laboratory setting can greatly enhance understanding of the subject.

2. Is it necessary to have a strong background in math and physics before learning Quantum Mechanics?

While a strong foundation in math and physics can certainly be beneficial, it is not absolutely necessary to have a deep understanding of these subjects before learning Quantum Mechanics. Many introductory courses and textbooks assume only a basic understanding of calculus and classical mechanics. However, as you progress in your studies, a strong understanding of linear algebra and differential equations will become increasingly important.

3. How long does it typically take to learn Quantum Mechanics?

The amount of time it takes to learn Quantum Mechanics varies greatly depending on the individual's prior knowledge and dedication to studying the subject. Some may be able to grasp the concepts in a few months, while others may take a year or more. It is important to not rush through the material and to practice regularly to fully understand the complex concepts involved.

4. Are there any online resources that can help with learning Quantum Mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available to help with learning Quantum Mechanics. Some popular options include online lectures from universities, interactive simulations, and online communities where you can ask questions and discuss the subject with other learners. It is important to carefully evaluate the credibility and accuracy of online resources before relying on them for your studies.

5. Can Quantum Mechanics be applied to real-world problems?

Yes, Quantum Mechanics has a wide range of applications in various fields such as physics, chemistry, and engineering. Some examples of real-world applications include the development of new technologies such as quantum computers, creating new materials with unique properties, and understanding the behavior of subatomic particles. As you learn the principles of Quantum Mechanics, you will also learn how to apply them to solve real-world problems.