1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

How i should proceed after reading Boas' book?

1. Nov 12, 2015 #1
    I'm on final of the chapter 7 yet, but i want to know when i finish this book, which book i should get to continue to learn the math necessary to more advance topics(GR, Condensed Matter, EM Theory(Jackson level), Analytic Mechanics and others..)? and if exists a book like Boas i would be so happy, i LOVE this book, the first chapter is VERY boring, but from the section of Power Series Expansion and so on it's very interesting,i would recommend to everyone!

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2015 #2
    Are you reading the book as a novel, or actually working through the many problems?

4. Nov 12, 2015 #3

Geofleur

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

After Boas, I studied Don Koks' Explorations in Mathematical Physics. It's a very good book, but a couple of caveats:

(1) There are no problems to be worked, it isn't a textbook. The value is that the book is stuffed with valuable insights about the mathematical language underlying physics.

(2) This book takes a somewhat unorthodox approach toward tensors, avoiding the use of one-forms. It would be good to follow up later with, say, at least the first part of Frankel's Geometry of Physics.

5. Nov 12, 2015 #4
    I'm working through the problems yes, but not all the problems, for example: in the exercises exists certain problems that make you use the SAME method many times, that problems i make only one of them, but for problems that take in other methods or need to use derive a something, certainly i will do these problems.

6. Nov 12, 2015 #5

Student100

Education Advisor
    Gold Member

https://www.amazon.com/Mathematics-...p/048667164X/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top?ie=UTF8

Is currently what I'm working through. There is overlap with Boa's here, but other topics are more developed. It's also cheap, which is a plus.

Honestly though, if you study the topics above from a physics text that should be more than sufficient, as no math methods book is going to cover every mathematical topic needed to do all the above.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook