How i should proceed after reading Boas' book?

In summary, the conversation is about finding a book to continue learning advanced math topics after finishing "Boas." The person recommends "Explorations in Mathematical Physics" by Don Koks, but mentions that it is not a textbook and takes a different approach towards tensors. They also mention "Geometry of Physics" by Frankel as a recommended follow-up. The person also shares their experience with working through problems in "Boas" and recommends studying the math topics from a physics textbook for a more comprehensive understanding. They mention a cheap alternative, "Mathematical Methods for Physicists" by George Arfken, which covers similar topics to "Boas."
Andreol263
I'm on final of the chapter 7 yet, but i want to know when i finish this book, which book i should get to continue to learn the math necessary to more advance topics(GR, Condensed Matter, EM Theory(Jackson level), Analytic Mechanics and others..)? and if exists a book like Boas i would be so happy, i LOVE this book, the first chapter is VERY boring, but from the section of Power Series Expansion and so on it's very interesting,i would recommend to everyone!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you reading the book as a novel, or actually working through the many problems?

After Boas, I studied Don Koks' Explorations in Mathematical Physics. It's a very good book, but a couple of caveats:

(1) There are no problems to be worked, it isn't a textbook. The value is that the book is stuffed with valuable insights about the mathematical language underlying physics.

(2) This book takes a somewhat unorthodox approach toward tensors, avoiding the use of one-forms. It would be good to follow up later with, say, at least the first part of Frankel's Geometry of Physics.

I'm working through the problems yes, but not all the problems, for example: in the exercises exists certain problems that make you use the SAME method many times, that problems i make only one of them, but for problems that take in other methods or need to use derive a something, certainly i will do these problems.

Andreol263 said:
I'm on final of the chapter 7 yet, but i want to know when i finish this book, which book i should get to continue to learn the math necessary to more advance topics(GR, Condensed Matter, EM Theory(Jackson level), Analytic Mechanics and others..)? and if exists a book like Boas i would be so happy, i LOVE this book, the first chapter is VERY boring, but from the section of Power Series Expansion and so on it's very interesting,i would recommend to everyone!

https://www.amazon.com/dp/048667164X/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Is currently what I'm working through. There is overlap with Boa's here, but other topics are more developed. It's also cheap, which is a plus.

Honestly though, if you study the topics above from a physics text that should be more than sufficient, as no math methods book is going to cover every mathematical topic needed to do all the above.

1. What should be my next step after reading Boas' book?

After reading Boas' book, you should take some time to reflect on the concepts and ideas presented. Think about how they relate to your own research or studies. You may also want to do some additional research on the topic to gain a deeper understanding.

2. How can I apply Boas' ideas in my own work or research?

Boas' book provides a lot of valuable insights and perspectives on the scientific process. You can apply these ideas in your own work by incorporating them into your research design, data collection methods, and data analysis. You may also want to use Boas' ideas to challenge and critically evaluate existing theories or ideas in your field.

3. Are there any other books or resources that I should read after Boas' book?

Yes, there are many other books and resources that can further expand your knowledge and understanding of the scientific process. Some recommended readings include "The Structure of Scientific Revolutions" by Thomas Kuhn, "The Logic of Scientific Discovery" by Karl Popper, and "The Scientific Method: A Beginner's Guide" by Stephen S. Carey.

4. How can I continue to improve my scientific skills after reading Boas' book?

One of the best ways to continue improving your scientific skills is by actively engaging in research and collaboration with other scientists. Reading and critiquing other research articles can also help you to develop a deeper understanding of the scientific process and how to apply it in your own work.

5. What are some common pitfalls to avoid in scientific research, according to Boas' book?

Boas' book highlights several common pitfalls in scientific research, such as biased sample selection, confirmation bias, and oversimplification of complex phenomena. It is important to be aware of these pitfalls and to actively work to avoid them in your own research, to ensure the validity and reliability of your findings.