1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Which action would prevent a fracture in the cyclist?

1. May 30, 2008 #1
    Let's say a cyclist hits a tree and fractures his arm. Which of the following would have likely prevented the fracture:

a) decrease in his velocity by factor of 2
    b) decrease in his mass by factor of 2

What arguments can be used here to reason this (ex. momentum, energy, force)? Immediately when I rephrased the question in my head to what change would have reduced the damage the most and thought of force. However, I guess you could also use the kinetic energy argument. I'm a little confused as to what the correct way to approach this is. At any rate, shouldn't all arguments lead to the same conclusion?

2. jcsd
  3. May 30, 2008 #2
    From Newton's 2nd Law, F=ma. If you can increase the time it takes to change velocity, then the impact time increases resulting in lower acceleration, thus lower the force.
    From momentum, p=mv. If you decrease velocity by a factor of 2 in one case, and decrease mass by a factor of 2 in another case, I believe you will get the same momentum in both cases, but a difference in impact time and kinetic energy.
    For kinetic energy, an average person weighs about 70kg, and a normal bike speed is ~15mph(which converts to ~6.7m/s). The kinetic energy when the velocity is halved is much less than when the mass is halved. I hope this help
  4. Jun 1, 2008 #3
    But can we assume we're actually increasing/decreasing impact time?
  5. Jun 1, 2008 #4
    Holding distance fixed, if we increase the velocity, then the impact time decreases. If we decrease the velocity, the impact time increases.
  6. Jun 1, 2008 #5
    E = 1/2mv^2

The energy dissipated by the guys arm broke it. Which part of the energy equation has the biggest impact on the value of E?
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?