Which band name is the best fit for a blues/rock band?

• Thread starter wasteofo2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Band
In summary, In summary, the best name for a blues/rock band is Insult to Injury. Mongface is too metal and punk for a blues band and Natural Selection is too political.

Which band name is the best?

• Insult to Injury

Votes: 12 48.0%
  • Natural Selection

Votes: 7 28.0%
  • The Natural Selection

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mongface is still better

Votes: 6 24.0%

• Total voters
wasteofo2
So, I've just recently got a blues/rock band together, and we need a name. Originally, the guitarist jokingly suggested Mongface, but we've decided to scrap that and have tentatively chosen Insult to Injury. Last night, I had the idea that Natural Selection or The Natural Selection might be good. So what do you think outta these names is the best?

Physics news on Phys.org
why would you ever call your band "Natural Selection"?

I voted for the first one, Insult to Injury :)

heartless said:
why would you ever call your band "Natural Selection"?

I voted for the first one, Insult to Injury :)
"When wondering what to listen to, choose the Natural Selection."

How about:

"Mongface and the Ultimate Insult to Natural Selection"

wasteofo2 said:
"When wondering what to listen to, choose the Natural Selection."

Nice, but anyway "Natural Selection" too much remainds me of evolution and murder. I think it isn't a good name for a blues/rock band, unless you do heavy bloody metal band. There's too many natural selections :tongue2:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/search/re...ection&Go.x=0&Go.y=0&Go=Go"&tag=pfamazon01-20

Maybe you should choose the name of your band by natural selection?

Last edited by a moderator:
heartless said:
Nice, but anyway "Natural Selection" too much remainds me of evolution and murder.
Why murder ?

Gokul43201 said:
Why murder ?

I don't know, it just does. Whenever I hear the words "Natural Selection" I immediately think about a lion eating a chap. :uhh:

wasteofo2 said:
So what do you think outta these names is the best?

The first is probably best, but it's kinda cheesy. I wouldn't choose "Natural Selection" because of the political and scientific overtones...unless that's what you're going for,

I'm curious, though, why you want such a metal/punk name like "Insult to Injury" for a blues group.

SpaceTiger said:
I'm curious, though, why you want such a metal/punk name like "Insult to Injury" for a blues group.
'Cause when you're feeling down, you listen to the Blues and you feel more down. That's adding insult to injury, no ? :biggrin:

Insult to Injury is cool...Mongface is better :biggrin:

Why mongface is still better?

Sorry...just a personal opinion. I like it better than the others :tongue2:

Depending on the music - maybe "Unnatural Selection".

Certainly "Natural Selection" is the best of the four in the poll.

Insult to Injury is cool...Mongface is better
heartless said:
Why mongface is still better?
Sorry...just a personal opinion. I like it better than the others

Hehe, I'm not asking why you chose the mongface but why "mongface is still better" just like it is in the poll :rofl:

Sorry,

Mongface v Mongface is still better...see that could work actually! "Mongface is still better" :biggrin:

12 Nails to the Head

Last edited:
Yeah I would go for Mongface, without the whole "is still better" part :smile:

Main Entry: mong
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: a mongrel dog; by extension, an idiot
Usage: Australian slang

Source: Dictionary.com

Hmm...Idiot Face? Is that what you're going after?

Insult to Injury is more of a harder band than I think you are. That gives me lots of black, and flashy staging.

heartless said:
I don't know, it just does. Whenever I hear the words "Natural Selection" I immediately think about a lion eating a chap. :uhh:
Actually natural selection would probably be more the chap shooting the lion with tranquilizer dart, then syringing it with deadly toxins. For animal rights laws of course!

If you can make "Natural Selection" sound somewhat like HammerFall it would be awesome:rolleyes:

Gokul43201 said:
'Cause when you're feeling down, you listen to the Blues and you feel more down. That's adding insult to injury, no ? :biggrin:

:bugeye:

That's a new one to me -- equating listening to the blues with being insulted. I usually think of it more as an indulgence of sadness and loneliness.

Just stick the work "intangible" in front of anything.

Intangible losses, gains, injuries, assets.

I went with Insult to Injury. It just sounds catchier. Though, I like Astronuc's suggestion of Unnatural Selection. That sounds pretty catchy too, but might make a better album name than a band name. Now you're going to have to get good enough to produce an album so you can use it as an album name. :biggrin:

The guitarist and I are both going off to college next year, so the band won't last any longer than August. We're not trying to top the charts here, just find a decent name that could last a few months while we play a few clubs/bars etc. Nothing too fancy.

The name Insult to Injury makes sense for our debut preformance. Next Friday, we'll be playing a local battle of the bands. Everyone will be high school kids besides this one band of 20 somethings called Blindswitch who has a record out and plays power-pop. We're going on right before them. Not to be conceited, but we're all much better musicians than they are. So the injury part comes when we rip up our set and kick their asses in a musical sense. The insult part comes right after our set when we just randomly blast them for sucking, right before they come on.

dduardo said:
Main Entry: mong
Part of Speech: noun
Definition: a mongrel dog; by extension, an idiot
Usage: Australian slang

Source: Dictionary.com

Hmm...Idiot Face? Is that what you're going after?
If you really want to know why we chose that name, google it. Do so at your own peril though.

Last edited:
Insult To Injusry is good.

"The Natural Selection" sounds like a spineless new wave band to me.

I'm imagining seeing one of these names on a flyer stapled to a telephone pole...

"Hmm, a blues/rock band, Mongface? Nah."

I'd see Insult to Injury, as long as you promise NEVER to bill it as "Insult 2 Injury."

What are the key elements of a good blues/rock band name?

A good blues/rock band name should be catchy, memorable, and reflect the style and attitude of the band. It should also be unique and stand out among other band names in the genre.

What are some examples of successful blues/rock band names?

Some examples of successful blues/rock band names include The Rolling Stones, The Black Keys, and The White Stripes. These names are memorable, unique, and reflect the blues/rock genre.

How can a band come up with a unique and fitting name?

One way to come up with a unique and fitting name is to brainstorm with the band members and consider words or phrases that relate to the blues/rock genre, the band's style, and their personal experiences. It can also be helpful to research other band names and see what makes them stand out.

Should a blues/rock band name be straightforward or more abstract?

There is no right or wrong answer to this question. Some successful band names are straightforward and directly related to the genre, while others are more abstract and open to interpretation. Ultimately, the name should reflect the band's style and what they want to convey to their audience.

Are there any words or phrases that should be avoided in a blues/rock band name?

There are no specific words or phrases that should be avoided, but it is important to consider the connotations and meanings behind the words being used. It's best to avoid anything offensive or overly generic, and to choose words that accurately represent the band's image and sound.