Which book is good for 1st and 2nd year

• Engineering
  • Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Book Year
In summary, the conversation discussed the similarities in the first and second years of engineering across different branches worldwide. The topic of syllabus differences in other countries was brought up, as well as the process of purchasing books for university courses. The participants also shared their recommendations for books on engineering mathematics and physics, including Khan Academy, Halliday Resnick Walker Fundamentals of Physics, Giancoli Physics 4th Edition, Kline's calculus book, and Irodov's Fundamental Laws of Mechanics.
Raghav Gupta
I think first and second years of engineering are same for all branches worldwide.
Is the syllabus different in other countries or same for 1st and 2nd years?
Well I haven't gone to a university yet but do the university people tell us which book to buy or we have to decide on our own?

It will be helpful if you can suggest me a book.
I guess for engineering mathematics and physics etc. there are different books.
So which are the good one from your experience?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well generally you begin with calculus based physics, and well a calculus series. I have seen this to be very common and I am taking my schools introductory calculus/physics courses. For calculus, I would actually recommend khan academy, but as for a book I can not recommend one since my school used an online book/series. But a good physics book is Halliday Resnick Walker Fundamentals of Physics, which you could find a free .pdf with very little work online. The book my school uses is Giancoli Physics 4th Edition. (It has very good problems and derivations, but a bit confusing if you ask me.)

Kline (calculus) or Irodov (Fundamental Laws of Mechanics) are good.

1. What are the best books for 1st and 2nd year students?

The answer to this question will depend on the specific field of study or subject matter. However, some general recommendations for good books for 1st and 2nd year students include textbooks that provide a comprehensive overview of the subject, as well as supplemental reading materials such as research articles, case studies, or other relevant literature.

2. How do I choose the right book for my 1st and 2nd year studies?

Deciding on the right book will depend on your personal learning style and the requirements of your course. It is important to read reviews, talk to peers and professors, and consider your own strengths and weaknesses when making a decision. It may also be helpful to consult with a librarian or academic advisor for recommendations.

3. Are there any free or online resources for 1st and 2nd year students?

Yes, there are many free and online resources available for 1st and 2nd year students. These can include open-access textbooks, online lectures and tutorials, and educational websites or databases. It is always a good idea to check with your professor or academic department for recommended resources.

4. Can I use older editions of textbooks for my 1st and 2nd year studies?

In some cases, using an older edition of a textbook may be acceptable. However, it is important to check with your professor or academic department to ensure that the content is still relevant and up-to-date. Additionally, older editions may not include any updates or revisions that may be important for your studies.

5. What should I do if I am struggling with the required textbook for my 1st and 2nd year studies?

If you are struggling with the required textbook for your studies, it is important to communicate with your professor or academic advisor. They may be able to provide additional resources or recommend a different book that better suits your needs. Additionally, seeking help from a tutor or study group can also be beneficial in understanding the material.