Which branch of physics holds the most mathematics

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
12 replies · 13K views
ihopeican
Messages
27
Reaction score
0
hi,
just wondering which branch of physics holds the most mathematics. because i love finding and using mathematic formulas. etc.

Thankyou,
Bye.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
ihopeican said:
hi,
just wondering which branch of physics holds the most mathematics. because i love finding and using mathematic formulas. etc.

Thankyou,
Bye.

Dunno about MOST maths, but I found quantum mechanics had the HARDEST maths... and that was only the basic stuff, not even QED.
 
String Theory. You can do mathematics which mathematicians haven't heard about or is also new to them.
 
I believe that all of mathematics can be applied to physics, even metamathematics, but the latter I'm not that sure.
 
I'd spontaneously place my bet at mathematical physics.
 
Jaden said:
String Theory. You can do mathematics which mathematicians haven't heard about or is also new to them.

String Theory is physics?
 
I would think that cosmology wins this award hands down.
 
Pythagorean said:
String Theory is physics?

I do not think so, and I have reason to believe I'm not alone...
 
Well, all branches of physics use math equally heavily, so I don't think it makes much sense to ask which branch has the "most" math. Some branches have much more advanced and difficult math than others, though. General relativity and the attempts being made to unify it with the standard model (m-theory and loop quantum gravity) almost assuredly use the most difficult math.

- Warren
 
Non-abstract calculations -- Particle physics, cosmology

Abstract- Maybe String theory(Dont really know others).