Which bulb will get fused first?

• Thread starter zorro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bulb
In summary, the conversation is about determining which of two bulbs with different power ratings will be fused when connected in series with a 440 volt supply. The solution involves finding the resistances and using the formula P=I2R to determine if the power rating is exceeded. The bulb with the higher power rating will be the one that gets fused.
zorro

Homework Statement

If two bulbs of power 25 watt and 100 watt each rated at 220 volts are connected in series with a supply of 440 volts. Which bulb will be fused?

The Attempt at a Solution

This is what I think I have to do-
Find out the resistances of each bulb from the data given.
Use P=I2R for each bulb and find out if it is greater than its power rating. The one with higher power rating will get fused.

Is this right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Abdul! :wink:
Abdul Quadeer said:
This is what I think I have to do-
Find out the resistances of each bulb from the data given.
Use P=I2R for each bulb and find out if it is greater than its power rating. The one with higher power rating will get fused.

That's right! :smile:

(I assume you're finding I from the total resistance)

1. Why do bulbs get fused?

Bulbs can get fused due to several reasons such as overloading, voltage fluctuations, or a defect in the bulb itself.

2. Will using LED bulbs prevent them from getting fused?

LED bulbs are less likely to get fused compared to traditional incandescent bulbs. However, they can still get fused due to external factors such as power surges.

3. How can I prevent bulbs from getting fused?

To prevent bulbs from getting fused, make sure to use the correct wattage bulb for the fixture, avoid overloading the circuit, and invest in surge protectors.

4. Can a fused bulb be fixed?

In most cases, fused bulbs cannot be fixed and will need to be replaced. However, if the issue is due to a loose connection, it may be possible to fix it.

5. How can I determine which bulb will get fused first?

It is impossible to predict which bulb will get fused first as it depends on various factors such as the quality of the bulb, usage, and external factors like power surges.