Which child has the larger linear speed and acceleration on a Merry-go-round?

  • Thread starter Thread starter lampshader
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Axis Rotational
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 5K views
lampshader
Messages
36
Reaction score
0

Homework Statement


Two children ride on a Merry-go-round. One is 2 m from the axis of rotation and the other is 4m from it. Which child has the larger;

I. linear speed
II. acceleration
III. angular speed and
IV. angular displacement



Homework Equations



1) Linear Speed: v = ωr
2) Acceleration: a = F / m
3) Angular Speed = No. of radian/sec = ω = θ/t
4) Delta Theta = Theta(base1) - Theta(base0)

The Attempt at a Solution



I think I need to just pick one of the four, based on the information of the two children riding the mgr. Since child one is 2m from the axis of roation h/she is is traveling slower with a greater angular speed because the radius is smaller. The other, at 4m is traveling faster because the radius is greater than the other, in comparison.

Any other possibilities?
 
Physics news on Phys.org
lampshader said:
I think I need to just pick one of the four, based on the information of the two children riding the mgr. Since child one is 2m from the axis of roation h/she is is traveling slower with a greater angular speed because the radius is smaller.

This does not follow. A merry-go-round is a solid object. Why would the two people have different angular speeds?
 
Its their linear speed. Because the further you are from the center, the higher velocity that you'll have.