Angular velocity of a merry go round after a child has jumped onto it

In summary, John jumps onto the outer edge of a 2.85 m diameter merry-go-round with a mass of 212 kg and the merry-go-round's angular velocity is 1.109 rad/s after he jumps.
Tina20

Homework Statement

A merry-go-round is a common piece of playground equipment. A 2.85 m diameter merry-go-round with a mass of 212.0 kg is spinning at 22.5 rpm. John runs tangent to the merry-go-round at 5.76 m/s, in the same direction that it is turning, and jumps onto the outer edge. John's mass is 33.7 kg. What is the merry-go-round's angular velocity, in rad/s, after John jumps on?

Homework Equations

Iiwi = Ifwf

where i = initial, f = final
I = moment of inertia
w = angular velocity

The Attempt at a Solution

Ijwj = Ifwf
Ijohn*wjohn = (Ijohn + Imgr)wf

I know that momentum of John = Iw = mvr, so

mvr = (Ijohn + Imgr)wf

Ijohn = mr^2 where r is the radius of the merry go round
Imgr --> I don;t know how to calculate the moment of inertia of the merry go round...is it mr^2 or do I assume that the merry go round is like a disk with its axis about the center being 1/2MR^2?

Then I need to solve for wf...I did that, but unfortunately I got the wrong answer. Is my equation set up incorrectly? Or it may be that my moment of inertia for the merry go round is incorrect.

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks good. I would use the 1/2MR^2 since no better value is given.
A little over 3 for angular velocity?

Yeah, that's what I got but the computer says its wrong :( Any ideas why?

Don't know. Might be worth comparing our answers.
Since the question is pretty casual about moment of inertia, I wonder if the person's mass is supposed to be simply added to the mass of the merry-go-round, assuming the whole thing is a uniform disk?

Ok, so I tried adding John's weight and the weight of the merry-go-round and inputted that as the weight for the moment of inertia final. Below is my calculation. It is still wrong. I think I need to incorporate the initial momentum of the merry-go round and john's initial momentum as well?

Ijwj = (Imgr+j)(wf)
mvr = 1/2MR^2(wf)
(33.7)(5.76)(1.425) = 1/2(212+33.5)(1.425)^2(wf)
276.609 = 249.259wf
1.109 = wf

The above answer is wrong. Would this seem like an ideal equation to solve the question:

Iiwi = Ifwf
Ijwj + (Imgr)(wmgr) = (Imgr + j)wf
mvr + (1/2MR^2)w = 1/2(Mmgr + Mj)R^2 *wf

Iiwi = Ifwf
Ijwj + (Imgr)(wmgr) = (Imgr + j)wf
276.6 + 507 = (.5*M*r² + m*r²)wf
783.6 = (.5*212 + 33.7)r²*wf
783.6 = 139.7*1.425²*wf
2.76 = wf

The first time through I got 3.12 due to using .5*106 instead of .5*212; just one of those slips!

Thank you so much, it worked!

Two questions left for me to solve today :)

What is angular velocity?

Angular velocity is a measure of how fast an object is rotating around a fixed axis. It is typically measured in radians per second or degrees per second.

How does the addition of a child affect the angular velocity of a merry go round?

When a child jumps onto a merry go round, the distribution of mass changes, leading to a change in angular velocity. The angular velocity will increase due to the added mass and the change in moment of inertia.

What factors influence the change in angular velocity after a child jumps onto a merry go round?

The change in angular velocity after a child jumps onto a merry go round depends on the mass of the child, the initial angular velocity of the merry go round, and the moment of inertia of the system (which is affected by the distribution of mass).

How can the angular velocity of a merry go round be calculated?

The angular velocity of a merry go round can be calculated by dividing the change in angle by the change in time. It can also be calculated by dividing the linear velocity at the edge of the merry go round by the radius of the circle.

Why is understanding the angular velocity of a merry go round important for safety?

Understanding the angular velocity of a merry go round is important for safety because it can help predict how the motion of the ride will be affected by a change in mass or other factors. This can help prevent accidents and ensure the safety of those on the ride.