Which class of functions does 1/x belong to?

In summary: Just as in finite dimensions it is crucial to examine the result of operators defined by applying polynomials to linear operators, so in infinite dimensions does it become important to apply more general functions, in particular holomorphic and rational functions to given operators. A fundamental question is whether a given operator has an inverse, say an operator of form (T-cI), and the inverse of this operator may be sought by substituting T into the rational function 1/(z-c). The theory of complex path integration, i.e. complex residues, is crucial here.Some comments on the evaluation of rational functions at linear operators can be found in the fundamental reference Functional Analysis, by Riesz-Nagy, pages
SVN
For historical reasons the hyperbola always was considered to be one of the «classical» curves. The function, obviously, does not belong to C0. Apparently, is does not fit L2 or any other Lp? What is the smallest class?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends.
$$(x \mapsto 1/x) \in C^0(\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\})$$
In fact even
$$(x \mapsto 1/x) \in C^\infty(\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\})$$

So I guess you will have to be a little more precise what your question is.

Likes bhobba
Math_QED said:
It depends.
$$(x \mapsto 1/x) \in C^0(\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\})$$
In fact even
$$(x \mapsto 1/x) \in C^\infty(\mathbb{R}\setminus \{0\})$$

So I guess you will have to be a little more precise what your question is.
Yes, you are right. I was thinking about interval [-1,1].

SVN said:
Yes, you are right. I was thinking about interval [-1,1].

So, how do you define ##x \mapsto 1/x## in ##0## then? You give it an arbitrary value?

It is an element of ##L^p## when ##0<p<1## but these spaces aren't as nice; e.g. ##||f||_p=\left(\int |f|^p\right)^{1/p}## doesn't define a norm.

Likes bhobba, WWGD, SVN and 1 other person
Math_QED said:
So, how do you define x↦1/xx \mapsto 1/x in 00 then? You give it an arbitrary value?

I am not sure I understand your point. The analytic functions form a small and restrictive class of functions. It can be broadened by dropping some requirements imposed on class members. It gives us this sequence (incomplete, I guess, but it illustrates the basic idea):
##C^\omega \subset C^\infty \subset C^0 \subset L^p \in##... well, I do not know what comes next, possibly, distributions.

So my question is not how to define ##1/x## in ##0##, but which class does ##1/x## belongs to, precisely because of its irregular behaviour in ##0##. Well, again the interval is ##[-1,1]##.

Infrared said:
It is an element of ##L^p## when ##0<p<1## but these spaces aren't as nice; e.g. ##||f||_p=\left(\int |f|^p\right)^{1/p}## doesn't define a norm.
Thank you!

my first response would be to call it a rational function.

Likes lavinia
mathwonk said:
my first response would be to call it a rational function.
Well, of course, but I meant its classification from the viewpoint of functional analysis.

It is not ##L_p## for ##p\ge 1##. For ##p\lt 1##, it won't be a Banach space.

That is why I prefer complex analysis. The function [itex]\frac{1}{z}[/itex] is ubiquitous in complex integration and is the basis of residue theory etc.

Likes bhobba and lavinia
Re post #9, Let me remark on the role of 1/z from the viewpoint of functional analysis as I understand it, and in relation to the insightful remarks of Svein. To me functional analysis is the analysis of linear operators on Banach space, of which spaces the particular examples L^p are of basic interest. You seem to have meant to ask which of these particular spaces, if any, the function 1/z belongs to, and you have received answers of that nature.

Beyond a study of examples of specific Banach spaces, functional analysis deals more deeply with the behavior of, and structure of, linear operators on these spaces, e.g. such as integral operators on function spaces. In that study it is fundamental to study the construction of new operators out of old, and the decomposition of arbitrary operators into combinations of standard ones.

Just as in finite dimensions it is crucial to examine the result of operators defined by applying polynomials to linear operators, so in infinite dimensions does it become important to apply more general functions, in particular holomorphic and rational functions to given operators. A fundamental question is whether a given operator has an inverse, say an operator of form (T-cI), and the inverse of this operator may be sought by substituting T into the rational function 1/(z-c). The theory of complex path integration, i.e. complex residues, is crucial here.

Some comments on the evaluation of rational functions at linear operators can be found in the fundamental reference Functional Analysis, by Riesz-Nagy, pages 422, 431. I hope this may be of interest.

Likes lavinia

1. What is the definition of a function?

A function is a mathematical relationship between two quantities, where each input (or independent variable) has a unique output (or dependent variable).

2. What does the notation 1/x represent?

The notation 1/x represents the reciprocal function, where the output is the inverse of the input. So, for example, if the input is 2, the output would be 1/2.

3. What is the domain and range of the function 1/x?

The domain of 1/x is all real numbers except for 0, since division by 0 is undefined. The range is also all real numbers except for 0, since there is no number that can be multiplied by 0 to get 1.

4. Is 1/x a continuous or discontinuous function?

1/x is a discontinuous function, as it has a vertical asymptote at x=0. This means that the function is undefined at x=0 and has a break in its graph.

5. What are some real-world applications of the reciprocal function?

The reciprocal function has many applications in physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to model the relationship between force and distance in Hooke's Law, calculate the resistance of a circuit in electronics, and determine the optimal price of a product in economics.