Which class should I devote more time to?

In summary, the physics class is easier than the math class. If you do well on the math midterm, you don't need to focus on physics anymore. If you do poorly on the math midterm, you should focus on physics.
xdrgnh
My current Physics class which is a regular physics calc based mechanics class isn't very difficult. Actually I already took the class in H.S and got a 5 on the AP Physics C exam. I decided to retake the class because I thought I didn't know enough Mechanics and that it would be good to reinforce what I already know. However the class is easier then I thought it would be and it doesn't really sap a lot of time. So in response I started to read the Feynman lecture and do extra chapters in my textbook to learn more. My other class my calc III class however is a lot harder and I've been studying hard for my midterm. If I do well on this midterm then I don't know if i should devote more effort to learning more math, or should I focus on learning more physics. Of coarse if I do bad on the midterm I will try my hardest in calc III to do well on the final and I'll just do what I am currently doing in physics.

Thanks you very much

Physics news on Phys.org
If your physics class isn't challenging you but math is then you should devote much more time to studying math than physics. Once you know and understand the mathematics applying it to the physics is trivial.

yea really, you sort of answered your own question. Physics is physics at the end of the day, Math can trick you up easier in my opinion.

Obviously if you're doing worse in math then study it more.

My suggestion is, well if you can, you should have taken a statics course. That is a more analytic view of machanics related to physics, but also in a more engineering approach. Sounds like you really want to KNOW this stuff! So, that would have been more practical, in my opinion. You would be eligable because you got a 5 on the ap exam. And well I believe the class is easier than taking physics, because I think it goes over strictly statics you know rather than linear velocity or energy, blah blah blah where you can learn the true practicality to the mechanics of physics such as knowing how to keep a building stable by analyzing what's going on in the rotational motion that's keeping it stable and of course you would be looking at everything in terms of "torque." You should definitely focus more on the calc III course, but if you can, just if you can, sign up for the statics course. Beg if you need to. Tell them your situation!

I might consider a static class but there is no ways they would let a physics major switch out of his physics class to take a engineering class in my school this late. I'll just focus on calc III so I can have the math to tackle my E@M class next semester. Thanks a lot all of you.

But you want to really keep those skills up which means you should take it and if you also want to go after your physics major, you can even take general physics 2 with the E and M part alongside. Sounds like a lot, but you should totally do it and you could succed in it if you love it enough! :)

If I was you, I would focus on the math. If you think about it, physics is math applied to the physical world. Its no wonder that people say math is the language of physics. Learn your math and the physics concepts can follow! Don't underestimate the importance of mathematics.

1. How do I determine which class I should devote more time to?

The best way to determine which class to devote more time to is to consider a few factors such as your current grade in each class, the difficulty level of the material, and the importance of the class towards your overall academic goals. You can also talk to your professors or academic advisor for guidance.

2. Should I prioritize the class with the most assignments or the one with the upcoming exam?

It depends on your learning style and the weight of each assignment or exam towards your final grade. If you work better with a consistent workload, then prioritize the class with the most assignments. However, if you perform better under pressure, then focus on the class with the upcoming exam.

3. Can I devote more time to one class and still maintain good grades in my other classes?

Yes, it is possible to devote more time to one class without neglecting your other classes. Time management is key in this situation. Make a schedule and allocate specific time for each class based on their difficulty and workload. Remember to also take breaks and prioritize self-care.

4. Should I devote more time to a class I enjoy or one that I struggle with?

It is important to strike a balance between the classes you enjoy and the ones you struggle with. Giving more time to the class you struggle with can help you improve and raise your grade. However, neglecting a class you enjoy can lead to a decrease in motivation and interest. Prioritize both classes to maintain a well-rounded academic performance.

5. Is it okay to devote more time to a class than is recommended by the syllabus?

Devoting more time to a class is not a bad thing as long as it does not negatively affect your other classes or personal life. The recommended time in the syllabus is just a general guideline. If you feel like you need more time to fully understand the material, then it is okay to devote more time to the class.