Which class should I take next semester?

In summary, the speaker is a freshman ChemE major with 15 credits lined up for next semester. They are considering adding one more class and are trying to decide between taking Java or an intro to Linear Algebra class. They do not have experience with Java and the intro to LA class is just the basics. The speaker wants the class to be useful and is also considering taking an intro to astronomy class. They mention that taking the LA class later may be more beneficial and that knowing how to program is useful, so they are leaning towards taking Java. They discuss their course load and potential job opportunities, ultimately deciding to take Java. They also mention the importance of being exposed to programming and its potential impact on their major or future opportunities.
Null_
I'm a freshman ChemE major. I have 15 credits lined up for next semester but want to add one more class since one is a PE, one is a non-intensive honors class, and one is economics.

Should I take Java or an intro to Linear Algebra class? I have no experience with Java, and the intro class is just the basics of LA. It's not anything fancy, just basically preparing you for LA later on. Whatever class I choose will not be of upmost importance, but I would like it to be something useful.

Physics news on Phys.org
You should probably take an elective/class that will count towards your major, no?

Java

save the LA class for after calc

o_O

I can't really. I have all of the GERs, and I don't have the PreReqs to take the next class in the chem, calc, or physics series. I could also take an intro to astronomy class, which would be pretty cool.

G037H3 said:
save the LA class for after calc

Why? You don't need basic calculus to do basic linear algebra or vice versa.

Why take an intro to LA class when you can just take the general LA class later? I mean, is that required for you to do at your school? Also, knowing how to program is very useful, so that might be a good idea.

It's not required. It just seemed somewhat interesting. I'll probably take the language, or just stick with 15 hours and pursue self study for the next level of calc and physics.

You're only planning on taking four courses next semester?

How many labs do you have?

General_Sax said:
You're only planning on taking four courses next semester?

No, I'm going to take: calc 2, chem 2, chem lab, econ, honors science class, pe, and probably one more. That's just one lab. This semester I have 2 labs (chem and physics). I'm taking a semester off of physics so I can learn some on my own w/ out the pressure. (Calc 2 and chem 2 are supposed to be killer weed-out the engineering students at my school).

Yeah, that's not a bad plan. If calc2 and chem2 are the weed-outs then I wouldn't take the extra course. However, you might be setting yourself up for an extra semester, and you might have a gpa penalty -- my school has one.

General_Sax said:
Yeah, that's not a bad plan. If calc2 and chem2 are the weed-outs then I wouldn't take the extra course. However, you might be setting yourself up for an extra semester, and you might have a gpa penalty -- my school has one.

There's no penalty. I'd still have 15 hours, and that's the recommended amount. We're not supposed to have more than 18, and full-time student status is 12. If I do have only 15, I'll try to get a job tutoring calc I or chem I a few hours a week. But I do feel like i'd be slacking, since I'm not really counting pe or honors as classes since they take little time outside of the room.

I've pretty much decided to take java, I think. We can't get credit for LA if we take the class I was talking about. I want to take LA later on, so yeah..

I would vote JAVA if your programming knowledge is non-existant..

Because you need to be exposed to some sort of programming at some point, to understand how the computers 'think'... besides it opens a multitude of opportunities, you might fall in love with it and switch majors or decide to get a minor in something programming oriented

1. What classes are required for my major?

It is important to consult with your academic advisor or refer to your university's course catalog to determine the specific courses required for your major. These requirements may vary depending on your major and university.

2. Are there any prerequisites for the classes I want to take?

Many classes have prerequisites, which are courses that must be completed before taking the desired class. This information can typically be found in the course catalog or by speaking with your academic advisor.

3. How do I know if a class will fit into my schedule?

Before enrolling in a class, it is important to check the course schedule and determine if the class time conflicts with any of your other commitments. You can also use online tools or speak with your academic advisor to plan your schedule.

4. What classes are recommended for students in my major?

Your academic advisor can provide guidance on recommended courses for your major. You can also speak with upperclassmen or do research on your own to learn about popular or beneficial classes for your major.

5. Can I take classes outside of my major?

Many universities allow students to take classes outside of their major, as long as they fulfill the necessary requirements and prerequisites. This can be a great way to explore new interests or minors. Consult with your academic advisor for more information.