Which describes the magnetic flux through a section of a loop?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
4 replies · 4K views
McAfee
Messages
96
Reaction score
1

Homework Statement



Which describes the magnetic flux through a section of a loop?

A. It is a vector that is directed outward through the section.
B. It is a vector that is directed inward through the section.
C It is a vector that is tangent to the section.
D. It is a scalar.


Homework Equations



http://edugen.wileyplus.com/edugen/courses/crs4957/halliday9118/halliday9088c30/math/math114.gif

The Attempt at a Solution



I think the answer is D because there is no direction when solving for magnetic flux.

I just want verification, thank you.
 
Physics news on Phys.org
If you look up the defining calculation for the magnetic flux you should have your answer; does the calculation produce a vector or a scalar?
 
Wow. Thanks gneill. I think I know the answer.

Phi = B.A

It has SI units of the weber (Wb) which is a tesla metre squared (Tm^2) and is a scalar

Am I right?
 
McAfee said:
Wow. Thanks gneill. I think I know the answer.

Phi = B.A

It has SI units of the weber (Wb) which is a tesla metre squared (Tm^2) and is a scalar

Am I right?

Yup. Equivalent units are also V-s (Volt-second). This becomes important when you start looking for induced emf's due to rates of change of flux :smile: