Which direction is the average acceleration going?

In summary, the conversation discusses an object moving along a circular path with constant speed and the average acceleration in going from point A to point B. The equation for average acceleration is given, as well as the equation for tangential acceleration. The conversation also mentions the direction of the acceleration and how it can be found using the centripetal force equation. A suggestion is made to sketch the centripetal acceleration at different points to find the average direction.
iamjohnny56

Homework Statement

An object moves along a circular path with a constant speed, |v|.

2ikz9fb.png

The average acceleration in going from A to B is
1. south
2. zero
3. west
4. north
5. east
6. none of the others

Homework Equations

a = Δv / Δt

tangential acceleration = mv^2 / r

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm not sure how to approach this question, but I think that the answer is east. A and B are perpendicular, and at the 45 degree line, the velocity would be pointing due east, so wouldn't the acceleration also?

Could someone point me in the starting direction/tell me what I'm missing?

Physics news on Phys.org
First of all theta only looks to be 45deg.
Second:
av acc = (vb - va)/t = [vb + (-va)]/t
Draw a diagram to find resultant of vb + (-va).

iamjohnny56 said:
tangential acceleration = mv^2 / r

What you have here is actually the equation for the centripetal force (because mass is included). Remember F=ma, so the direction of this force will also be the direction of the centripetal acceleration (and if this is the only force acting on the object the direction of the total acceleration). http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centripetal_force To find the average direction, maybe sketch the centripetal acceleration at a few different points symmetric across the center dotted line.

1. What is average acceleration?

Average acceleration is the change in velocity over a certain period of time. It is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval.

2. How is average acceleration different from velocity?

Velocity is the rate of change of an object's position, while acceleration is the rate of change of an object's velocity. In other words, velocity tells us how fast an object is moving, while acceleration tells us how quickly the object's velocity is changing.

3. What is the direction of average acceleration?

The direction of average acceleration depends on the direction of the change in velocity. If the velocity is increasing, the acceleration will have the same direction as the initial velocity. If the velocity is decreasing, the acceleration will have the opposite direction as the initial velocity.

4. How is average acceleration calculated?

Average acceleration is calculated by dividing the change in velocity by the time interval. The formula for average acceleration is: a = (vf - vi)/t, where a is average acceleration, vf is final velocity, vi is initial velocity, and t is time interval.

5. Can average acceleration be negative?

Yes, average acceleration can be negative. This occurs when the velocity is decreasing, as the change in velocity will have a negative value. Negative acceleration is also known as deceleration.